Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever paint your truck with house paint?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bgreen, Jul 17, 2006.

1. bgreen

bgreen 1/2 ton status

Years ago, back in highschool a good friend of mine bought a truck that was painted with house paint of some sort. It held up pretty good from what I remember, so I'm going to do the same.

Anyone have any experiance with such a thing? Any pointers, hits, tips, words of wisdom?

Redneck? Ya, different, for sure. I've always liked trying different things.

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

:haha: :haha: :haha:

:surepal: :shame: Yeah now that is a really cheap paint job. I wouldn't do it.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Friend did this with a truck before he sold it, painted red. It went from red to pink over the years, but it has held up pretty good. Doesn't hold up well to scratches and what not though.

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

my great grandpa, back when he probally shouldent have been driving, backed his S-10 into a pole, took the paint that chipped off to home depot and had them color match it so none would know he was running into stuff:haha: :haha:
    when we got grandpas truck after he passed, there were brush marks all over the truck:D
    granpa hit alot of stuff

but the paint held up well

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get some pait off of the sale rack from Lowes or Home Depot. You can change the color for $5 a gallon and just paint it whenever you want.

6. bgreen

bgreen 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt do it to most trucks, definately not to something that sat outside alot or was mostly for looks, but have you ever seen the body on this one? I put new doors on it last year, they didnt make it one run. The goal is to have paint thats easy to touch up due to body damage, and easy to paint behind the exo without having to do 2 hours of masking.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Dont Use Latex!!!!!

I painted my 63 VW "Bus"and my 63 VW Beetle I had with a brush and roller,with Rustoleum when I was 16,and had no cash to do it right!--I wanted to at least preserve the metal from rotting any further,until I could get a "real" paint job someday (which never happened of course!:rolleyes: )...two tone red and white,it looked pretty good considering..:laugh: --the Beetle never got beyond the Red Oxide primer though..:blush:

My 1956 Chevy 3100 pickup was painted gloss black with Rustoleum by the former owner--he used a roller,and wet sanded and buffed it out with rubbing compound a few months later to remove the orange peel --it actually looked pretty good!..It holds up well to weather,and is easy to touch up if it gets chipped...

One word of advice--DONT USE LATEX PAINT!!..it chalks up bad,rubs off on clothes,and wont hold up on metal long--doesn't protect against rust very well either...I'd stick with Rustoleum,or some similar oil based enamel,like Porch and Deck paint..all enamels (that dont use a hardener)are fairly "soft" paints,and will scratch up easily when branches rub up against the truck--they buff out readily,but you lose some paint every time you do it..but I doubt this is of much concern to those who are thrashing the truck off road...

My theory is ANY paint is better than rust!..I'd rather have to strip house paint off an old vehicle,and have a rust free body underneath,
    than have to weld it back together with patches !!.:crazy:

8. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Spend a couple $$ more and use an Alkyd paint. It's made for wrought iron, equipment and porch floors. I colored mine purple, in a satin finish. Spray full strength, roll or brush. Latex will scratch too easy.

9. pulser9

pulser9 Registered Member

thats funny that you ask because i was just talking to my dad about the time i went over my grandpas house and he had been going senile for a while but before that he was a very like macanicly inclined and that kinda person but i see him outside with a paint tray and and like left over house paint and a roller and he was rolling paint on his car. and i ran up to him and was like what the **** are you doing and he was like the door was starting to rust so i decided to paint it. fortunetaly I showed up when i did and was able to was it off. me and my dad just ended up painting the rust with just some stuff to stop it from continuing rusting.