Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever pull the fender on a 88+

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SubYuman, May 8, 2006.

1. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

I got a set of used Hanneman fenders and am having a h3ll of a time getting just the fender off, drilling thru welds and stuff.
    Anyone have any guidance?

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Drilling through welds? Are you talking front fenders or rear quarters? The front fenders un-bolt. No drilling or cutting. One inside the door, on top of wing just in front of door, bottom of wing in front of door(from behind fender) and a whole bunch around the front panel. 5 or 6 in the engine bay, a couple under the turn sigmals hiden by the valence and.....errr, think that's about it.
    If you're talking about the rear quarters and you're having to ask...I wouldn't touch them if I were you. They're very well welded on!

3. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

??

According to Hanneman, you have to take the fender off, not the fender AND inner wheel well. Am I missing something here? There are bolt holes on the top of the fender where it meets the inner well. I can't see how it would just unblot....I wish there was an FAQ somewhere for this......

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Is the the front or rear?

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I guess he's talking front as the rear is welded.

If you look where I said you'll see all the bolts. You can leave the inner fender there or take it off. I take mine off first and replace them last. If you've got a ton of gear bolted to the inner then leave it where it is. I had to remove mine for trimming.

6. general blaze

general blaze 1/2 ton status

hahah i am at harold hannemann's house right now. he just went for knee surgery yesterday. anyway about the fenders i have them on my blazer as well it is a pain in the but. you have to remove the entier fender then drill the spot welds. then cut some of the fender frame apart to fit the fiberglass fender on the stock metal frame. also some fiberglass shaving might be necessary to keep the door gaps and hood gaps correct. if you have any problems feel free to contact me at tonybartel@msn.com and i will give you my cell number.

later
    tony

7. general blaze

another thing that is going to piss you off is the new FRONT fenders and larger wheel well does not exactly fit with the old wheel well. i beat mine out with a hammer to match the new bigger wheel well then i bolted a strip of rubber on the wheel well to close the gap. i will try and post some pics for you. just give me a min.

8. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

I really wanted a new set, but I got a decent set for close to free....looking for a glass cowl hood. Got the Urethane hood pins ready to go....
    Ask him if he remembers meeting a 7 foot tall white guy with long blond hair who drove a 79 Datsun 620 King Cab with a glass front end at Pomona about 17 years ago... he SHOULD remember both myself and the small block powered mini truck with no bed running 10.17/141.
    He talked about my front end and how it looked like the mold for it had been placed on it's nose for too long....

9. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Sent you a PM about local shops there at Edwards. :D

Rick

10. general blaze

i will ask him when i see him tonight. he is staying at his sons house since he had his knee surgery. i will probably see him tonight.