Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever replaced rivet rollers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, Jul 2, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of replacing what were nonexistant rivet rollers on the window scissors. anyone replaced these? How do you hold them in place? A regular rivet gun doesn't work and so far flaring them isn't looking like the solution...help!

2. BowtieBlazer

TTT .... still baffled as to what to do...guess I'll have to get someone to weld them and hope the bushings won't melt

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

To be honest, I didn't even though you could just replace them seperately. I'm assuming you had to buy the new ones, and I'm assuming those might be a dealer only item (could be wrong), and if you bought it from the dealer, they should be able to tell you how they replace them (may have to talk to somebody in service). Just thinking out loud here....

4. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Josh:

I recently replaced almost everything in my tailgate including the rollers. I ordered them from LMC Truck and they were OEM style which means they had that funky rivet thing. I took a close look at the old ones and then drilled them out. Then I used a small socket to protect the plastic roller and smashed the back of the rivet to squash it. It worked great. I had to install two of them. They both work fine. LMC Truck has a web site (listed in the links section of this board).

I have pictures that I could send you of what I did if you want. Good luck.

5. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

We replace these all the time at work in fact we even stock them. I always flair them with a phillips screwdriver it splits them 4 different ways they end up looking factory. Hope this helps

6. BowtieBlazer

exactly the place I bought them from...exactly the answer I was looking for...I started to go that route and got scared because they started to flair! Thanks again!
    --Josh

7. BowtieBlazer

Just went outside...didn't have a big enough phillips so just used a flat head still worked PERFECT! Hammered them flat and reinstalled! Thanks!
    --Josh