Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever run a power steering pump not for a truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Dec 17, 2003.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just kind of curious if anyone has run one a PS pump that wasn't from a truck.

It's not a quantum leap or anything special, I realize that, just curious if anyone has done it, and if it was even noticeable.

I ended up having to use the belt system off of a 1986 Monte Carlo SS, which has the serpentine Alternator/Water Pump/Crank belt, and a seperate PS pump belt to the crank. Since I didn't want to change pulleys (and my old truck PS pump leaked, made noise, and had the cold jitters) I used the PS pump off of the car.

The car pulley is relatively huge. About 7.5" in diameter, so it should reduce the amount of PS assist I have. I bet the stock one I pulled off was maybne 6" diameter. (Have heard it was to make the 305 appear more impressive, although less steering assist gives better road feel too) Personally I thought the stock truck one had TOO much assist, even with the 33" tires, so this will probably be fine, just wondering about others experiences.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

and while we are asking about these saginaw pumps, how could we go about finding out what PSI these things can put out at what RPM, and maybe volume also at certain temps with certain viscosities of fluids ??

there are alot of variables here, heh.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You know that somewhere, at some point in time, all that data you'd like to know, was on a desk at GM. A lot of it just isn't to be found though. (kinda like actual block alloy composition numbers, etc.)

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Since my 'vette engine came with all the serpentine accesories attached, I used its pump on my '75. I had to swap out the valve/fitting on the back of the pump, to match up with my old style hoses. The 'vette pump originally fed a power rack and pinion steering setup, so I was concerned about having enough volume. But it provides plenty of boost other than at idle. At around 650 RPM the boost drops off considerably, but just a slight pressure on the go pedal brings the RPM up enough for it to start boosting well again. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I bought a 350, a few years ago from a '83 Chevy Impala, and it had all of the accessories. Anyhow, I used the pump from the '83 on my '80 (That origionally had a 6 cyl. in it), and I never had any problems with it.

6. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

I stole the one out of my 78 Firebird to accomidate the long waterpump. Works great maybe even better than before but thats hard to say since the whole front end (axle suspension, and steering) got replaced/rebuilt with the engine swap.

7. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

I used a pump from an 89 gta with serpentine pulley for an engine swap into an 86 k5.Only thing i changed was the fitting in the pump.just swapped the k5 fitting in there! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You know that somewhere, at some point in time, all that data you'd like to know, was on a desk at GM. A lot of it just isn't to be found though. (kinda like actual block alloy composition numbers, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

yep!

and pressure drop off at higher RPM would make sense since you better not be taking turns at higher RPM(technically vehicle speed) anyways! hehe
    but you could always push in the clutch at 60mph and make a big U! although highly un-recommended!

but it actually drops off at lower than around 650 rpm or so, which is bad for low speed boost, so that doesnt make much sense,. hmm..\
    so i wonder if PSI drops off at any higher RPM ? or can it only increase ? to a certain point of course..