Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever seen a Full Steel top Blazer? (1980)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZooMad75, Jul 28, 2005.

1. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Here's a real mind blower:
    [​IMG]

Seems as if GM in Brazil had different Ideas when it came to Blazers and Suburbans...Heres a couple more wierd ones:

This one is a 92 with a straight 6 diesel.
    [​IMG]

This one is got rear suicide doors! (fronts turned backwards)
    [​IMG]

Anybody wants to look, they are on the Brazilian version of EBay right now. Here's the link:

Brazilian Ebay

Anybody that can read spanish might be able to figure out more than I've read on the site so far.

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Those are pretty cool.

I think that's portuguese not spanish btw.

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I posted on here before about this movie where the the farmers are going broke, so they start growing pot...I think it's call Cash Crop or something like that

I swear the K5 in that movie looked like it was a full steel top

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Can those be imported?

5. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Are the prices in US dollars if so I know what my new job is

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Is it me or does that first picture look photochopped? The color on the rear portion of the top looks funny... And the body line lines up funky.....

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I can't check the site from here, but the first one, do they show the rear of it? Looks to me like a Suburban rear window.

Second one looks like a grafted Ford front end. Even the bumper and cowl piece aren't the same as the '73-87 style. Can't tell really, do the rear wheelwell flares match the fronts?

Bottom one looks like a Van rear area grafted on.

Are there more on the site that are identical? I know GM did things differently in other countries, but from what I've seen, they usually appear to be minor cosmetic or drivetrain differences. (or name changes) For instance, a 1980's Monte Carlo SS made for Mexico was, or had available, a manual transmission, which you couldn't get here. But the sheet metal was essentially identical.

Almost looks to me like they have some pretty creative folks down there that just did some interesting things. The suicide door Suburban especially...they were already making 4 doors, why redesign the entire body just so you could turn a front door around? Of course, a picture of the door panels in the rear might answer that, I'd assume the inside of the door would still be "conventional" if it were factory. The rear window gasket doesn't look "even" either.

Call me skeptical. :) Interesting rigs, but there have to be dealer brochures floating around too...

9. ZooMad75

Portugese/spanish still can't read either of them! :laugh:

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Most of the stuff made for other countries can't be imported without a whole lot of money, if it's even possible. Especially South of the border, emissions requirements were much less, and if the drivetrain wasn't certified in the US, I'm not sure how much hassle you'd have getting it into the country.

I know it was discussed for the Mexican Monte Carlo SS', but the expense was extremely high, and it seems that until it's actually being "checked over", you won't have any idea if it will make it through inspection.

11. pauly383

You don't really need to import it if you just want parts , or body pieces ...... provided it starts and drives . Have someone drive it across .

Here in AZ , Mexican cars drive across everyday to visit , just as we drive across there everyday to visit . Even I-19 has metric signs on the US side .

Once its parked here in someones backyard , its just another abandoned car .

Can't title it , but can use the parts .

12. kgblazerfive

The Blazer has an older grill on a later body so does the Nova but the other way around. The Sub has the back end of a earlier model Sub if you look at all the pictures they still sold Chevetes into 93' or so. The cars in general seemed to keep their body lines alot longer then the US which makes sense especially if some were made in the other countries

13. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

This image reminds me of something I have been wanting to do to my Blazer.. I would like to take the hardware off a minivans doors and put them on my blazer so they slid straigh back like a minivans. This would be even cooler to do for a Suburban.. fi you could join both doors into one piece and have the whole thing slide back like a minivan. But all kind of structural problems would come of for the Burban tohugh.. it would be sick though. Talk about "cross ventilation"... haha

14. kgblazerfive

I'm thinking the other way around if US cars are selling for that there it doesn't cost but $1000 to put somthing in a container and ship it wherever you want. They are selling a beat up 78 Pickup for $9900 here it would go for $500 ship it for a grand add some fees and it could still sell for $7000 and be in better shape and you could make a few thousand or so but I thought of it first so no stealing my idea unless you want to help :D

15. ZooMad75

It Thought they were strange, but look at the sheet metal work on the suicide sub. They matched the curve below the windows perfectly. The rear barn doors look more like ones out of a 67-72 sub than a 73-91 though. They don't slant forward at the top and they have little "t" for a handle.
    [​IMG]

The 92 sub is different all together. Look at the bodyside, all the sheet metal is different. Sure the doors look right except for the big crease/body line that runs from the hood shut line back. This ones roof/rear quarters look better but it has a one piece liftgate (with rear wiper!)

[​IMG]

I think the 92 is more likely to be factory than the 75 would be. Strange things happen south of the boarder....Did you know Dodge made a 2dr ramcharger on the 94-up style ram truck? Thats the wierd stuff that happens.

As for the blazer being photochoped, I don't think it was. Look at the shape of the side glass, it is not the same shape as a US-spec K5. Look at the inside pic below, what you can see of the interior roof, it looks nothing like the inside of a Fiberglass top.

[​IMG]

16. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

wonder if there is a way around this, there has to be otherwise i never could have gotten my mini. it came straight from england.

17. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Age of the vehicle is important; anything older than 25 years gets grandfathered by the DOT, for instance.

-- A

18. pauly383

Sure there is , I wasn't talking about doing it right . I was just saying you could drive straight across if you were a Mexican visitor , and the car doesn't neccessarily goes back .

JUST for PARTS , I don't advocate anything illegal at all . Just someone coming to visit you , and leaving thier car there after it broke down :whistle: , and you using the strange sheetmetal on your own US ride :D

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  19. ZooMad75

Here's a truck with the same front clip as the 92....

[​IMG]

20. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

This is too short to be a regular Burb -- the rear axle is too far forward. Burbs here had the second set of doors forward of the rear axle, if that makes sense.

This thing looks more like a stretched Blazer ... which to me makes it even cooler :haha:

Wow.

-- A