Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever Thought of Making some Dana 60 Set up bearings?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JpEater, Sep 8, 2006.

1. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

I am setting up an E-Locker in a Dana 60 and was thinking about using a cylinder hone to hone out the inside of a pair of carrier bearings just enough to be able to pop them off with a chisel or a screwdriver. Snug but not tight.I would do this so that they could come off easily to changes the shims to set the gear up. When I got the right shims right then press the new bearing on. Anyone have any idea if this would work?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have a set in my toolbox. Made them with a dremel

3. muddindirty

muddindirty Registered Member

I have a set also but I also have a tool that I made to set the pinion depth from scratch. It consists of two plates I turned down to the exact OD of a set of carrier bearings with a 1.000" rod that the two plates press on to make a dumbell type config with a flat machined in the rod exactly .500" in the area the pinion would sit. I then drilled a .1875" hole in the center of the flat and use a depth mic to set nominal pinion depth if the original shims get misplaced and to check the original pinion depth of the pinion being taken out. It helps speed up the guess work and has really saved me some time. I think I'll market it to Snap-On or Matco:eek1: , you know how much there special tools cost, I'll be the next billionaire, yeah right!!:D

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Only problem with marketing your tool is that a pinion depth setting/checking tool has been around almost since the beginning of time. :grin:

5. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

when i did the gears in the 10b, i used a dremil on the original bearings for set up bearings...it almost sounds like you are thinkin too deep into it. I see no reason the cylinder hone wouldn't work, but a dremil may be more simple. It only takes a min or two per bearing with a dremil.

6. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

You have obviously never used a cylinder hone before if you think that would be more work. On top of that it will hone a perfectly round hole when a dremel won't.

7. muddindirty

muddindirty Registered Member