Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever want to see the inside of your muffler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Dec 22, 2005.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I was adjusting the timing on my C10 4.3lV6, I like to leave the distributor bolt just tight enough to hold it, but loose enough so I can turn it, but I was just a touch too tight, I was trying to turn it, it wasn't moving, so I added some more pressure and it jumped to way too much advace, backfired out the exhaust rather loudly and......

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

NICE!!! I've seen a few mufflers look like that after a backfire but yours takes the cake. :thumb:

3. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

that sucks , buddy of mine had the same problem a few days ago..

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

If they were smart they would have put the muffler seem on the output side of the muffler, not the input. But I guess that's what I get for buying a $30 muffler.
    Just replaced it with a $65 OEM version, much quiter, welded construction.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

awesome, see that happen ever now and again with those old mufflers. My friend did that the first time we fired up his 383 in his 72 pickup. It was ok because he was planning on a new exhaust anyways.

6. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

is that one of them low restriction mufflres? i bet that out-flows the flowmasters too:haha:

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

we had our safari van do almost the same thing when the fuel lines in the plentium were leaking (vortec). if back fired and blew the muffler apart. it rattled the neighbors windows :eek1: it also cracked the pump in the tranny and caused the bushing around the converter hub to spin and take the front seal out. it leaked like a sive from like 5 minutes after that.