Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ever wonder why you got a suv?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudhog, Jan 3, 2003.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yep that's it! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well, I drive a truck, not a SUV, no matter what my registration says. Further more, if the a**hole to vehicle size argument held any water, I'd be piloting the friggin Death Star. So I must conclude that the "author" of this piece of literary bull dung is full of said bull dung.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I now feel dumber for having read 1/3 of the article and will now kill those brain cells imediatly, Shannon you should have put a warning on that..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Liberals su-k /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. Frankenstien

Frankenstien 1/2 ton status

blah blah blah another reason for me to look for my 44's

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I liked the way the author contradicted herself at least three times in the review. First its not as safe then its safer. It comes w/ poor tires yet they are similar to a Tauras. Then a claim that being classed a truck makes them bad, even though vans are classed as trucks but they are good.
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    four-ton Chevy Tahoe

[/ QUOTE ]
    I doubt it weighs 8000 lbs.
    A Fairfax County official told The Washington Post that public safety officials needed four-wheel drive and large cargo spaces to transport extra people and emergency equipment through snow or heavy rain--proof that even law enforcement officials misunderstand SUV safety records.)

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like the author does not want to admit that an SUV is an ideal vehicle for many tasks.
    It is a steaming pile! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

9. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Further more, if the a**hole to vehicle size argument held any water, I'd be piloting the friggin Death Star.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I read a little bit, what a waste of time...and i dont drive an suv either.

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I read a little bit, what a waste of time...and i dont drive an suv either, since the Blazer was around way before the term suv, it is a truck, hell oyu can even call it a wagon, i dont care

12. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

dangit, I went at that paragraph by paragraph and then hit submit and I had ben disconnected, oh well probably beter off for ya'll not having ot read my rant, maybe tomorrow

13. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

well, that dosnt effect any of us. we all call our vehicles by their proper names: truck or rig. so i guess we shouldnt be offended. anyone that claims they drive and "SUV" is dumb anyways. and thats all i have to say about that

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The Suburban was introduced in 1936. The K5 in 1969. The term "SUV" was coined in the 80's.

I would argue that we are not part of that group.

15. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

I think they need to rip the ricers a new one, there the one whith the "im a bad a$$ mentallity" that drive wrecklesslly and couse alot of accidents.
    As someone here said its safer having a lifted truck becouse you can see over the people in front of you and stopp better.
    Just another reason for me to get a burb on 44s!

16. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have an SUV cause its easier to make whoopy in than the back of a car. My $.02. And that whole 4 wheel drive thing is a plus. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'll probably get nailed to the wall for saying this, but alot of what the author of that article said strikes me as very true. Maybe it's because I live in the Silicon Valley, the home field for conspicuous consumption. Seems like at least half of the vehicles on the road out here are newer model SUVs, Suburbans, Explorers, Tahoes, those BMW things, and all the other ones. They do tend to be the fastest moving vehicles on the road, ESPECIALLY when it's raining out. They tend to be more inconsiderate with thier driving, such as with tailgating. Hell, some of my in-laws fit the description to a T - One guy using a brand new $40,000 Suburban as a daily driver, and the other car in his family is one of those Lexus SUVs. Guess which one takes the family on long trips - the Lexus, probably becase it's more pretentious. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

All these people that use the gigantic 8 passenger Big-Block or Deisel vehicles as daily drivers for one person to drive 10 miles at 5 mph in traffic... It drives me nuts, so goddamn wasteful and useless. I refuse to buy a newer SUV, I would consider an onlder Suburban, because when they were made nobody was fooling themselves - the Sub was a giant station wagon on a truck chassis. It rode like a truck, but had lots of space for stuff inside where it's dry. That's cool. Why anybody needs 30 feet of leather and DVD players is beyond me.

So long as I'm inviting flames - anybody that has a lifted truck or "SUV", especially an older one, that drives faster than 65-70 mph TOPS on the freeway is a dumbass. Your endangering yourself and everyone around you. These things are TRUCKS, and they were built when the speed limit was 55mph. Don't fool yourself into thinking that driving a 15 year old 4500lb truck on 35"+ tires at 80mph is safe. It isn't, and I don't give a rat's ass what modifications you've done to it, if it's lifted and has large tires then it just plain isn't safe. CG is the issue, emergency maneuvers are not exactly quick with a tall truck.

When my truck was running it would cruise down the freeway at 80 mph pretty easily. On 38" tires and 1/2 ton brakes. Just because it can do it doesn't mean it's safe. I had to make a conscious effort to keep it under 65, and when my 42s are on it I am planning on making an effort to stay under 60, even with the 1 ton brakes and 4 wheel discs.

FOr the record, my DD is an S-10, and my wife's car (the one that goes on long non-wheeling trips) is a Subaru Outback with teh H6 engine. Plenty quick and it handles a hell of alot better than any SUV out there (no, I'm not talking about Typhoons here). I am not a liberal or anything like that, it's just that a CAR makes sense for long trips if you aren't towing anything. When I start towing my truck to the trails I will trade my S-10 in on a 3/4 or 1 ton deisel, which I will probably have to commute in a couple days a week when I can't get my wife to drop me off at work. So I guess then I'll be one of the assholes. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Whew, sorry for the novel. Flame on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font color>

18. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i a agree with you. the article makes some great points. i think what it really comes down too is BAD DRIVING! bad drivers cause accedents. ABS, traction control and all that BS. it all takes away from the "feel" of driving in my opinion. i don't expect my suburban to do well in a slolom, so i don't drive it that way. still would rather be hit in a burb or blazer then a honda.... and if those ricers get in my way then too bad for them /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

19. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Ironically, SUVs are particularly dangerous for children, whose safety is often the rationale for buying them in the first place. Because these beasts are so big and hard to see around (and often equipped with dark-tinted glass that's illegal in cars), SUV drivers have a troubling tendency to run over their own kids. Just recently, in October, a wealthy Long Island doctor made headlines after he ran over and killed his two-year-old in the driveway with his BMW X5. He told police he thought he'd hit the curb.

[/ QUOTE ] [​IMG] This is an SUV?????? We all must driveSatan's Wagon.

This guy is an idiot. I don't think any of us would ever run our own children over. We are the not the upper class a$$hole that is so worried about making enough money to pay for our POS /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif BMW that we are not aware of our surroundings. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

My windows are limo tinted and that obligates me to be alot more aware of my surroundings and much more attentive when backing up. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Government researchers have found that a behemoth like the four-ton Chevy Tahoe kills 122 people for every 1 million models on the road; by comparison, the Honda Accord only kills 21. Injuries in SUV-related accidents are likewise more severe.

[/ QUOTE ] Better get out of my way then, because I have yet to kill anyone in my Tahoe. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

20. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sometimes those larger newspapers will write a story like that to get everybodys blood pumping and creat buzz around the paper. You could most likely go look in their parkinglot to see the truth. Sometimes the local TV station here will take major pop shots at the local polititions and I think its the same idea.