Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Every little thing with 14 bolt swapp

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85blazer350, Jun 24, 2002.

1. 85blazer350

85blazer350 Registered Member

I drove 120 miles last weekend and picked up a 1979 14 bolt 3/4 ton rear end for 250.Now im putting it in my 85 blazer and need to know everything that i will need and or have to do including brakes u-joint all info would be apriciated.sorry i know this question has been asked a 100 times but i need to know everything because im putting it in this weekend.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If it is out of a 4x4 then it will directly bolt up. The only thing you might need to change over is your e-brake cables. You will need a conversion u-joint also. The 14 bff is 5/8" longer on the pinion nose so you may need to have your driveline shortened. This will all depend on if you have a lift or not and how it is done. Hopefully you have some 8 lug wheels and tires kickin around to put on it.

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

my 14 bolt came outta a 2wd and it bolted in just fine, so did the ebrake cables...

4. 4X4HIGH

My 14 bolt also came out of a 2WD. The shock mounts are different on 2WD versus 4WD. The 2 wheel drive mounts are longer and the shocks will hit them if you don't cut them off and rotate them. The e-brake cable may or may not need changing due to the difference between both cables on driver side or one cable on each side. My "89" has both cables on the drivers side but I am not sure about and "85".

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I was going to ask about E brake cables but its covered here. Do I use the ones out of my 10 for the 14? Will they swap out? I have the 2 equal length cables on the rear I got.

6. 4X4HIGH

If your truck has both cables on the drivers side then yes, you will use your cables in the 14 bolt. It is a pain to remove the drums just to change the e-brake cables, but hey at least you can check the brakes and replace them if needed while you're in there.

7. Pure Insanity

Ive already got it torn down to the housing for a cleaning and brakes anyhow. (and maybe a welded truss) Ill just have to pop the drums off the 10 now. I have the tool for the cable ends, makes compressing the little "fingers" a snap.

8. 4X4HIGH

I did not know there was a tool for the cables. Where did you get such a tool? That would be a great thing to have in my tool box. I have used a hose clamp for years with ocassional success.

9. Pure Insanity

The tool sweet! I havent got a clue what I paid for it. I just stuck it on my Mac account. It was prob 20 bucks, Ill guess. Ill look tomorrow and see if there was a name on it. I am thinking its made by Lisle. You have to have the knot on the end of the cable loose to use it. Just slide it on, it pushes the fingers and slide out the cable. That easy. Well worth the money IMO. LOL! I say that and I dont even know what I paid for it...... But lets put it this way, if it makes my life easy I dont care what something costs.

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Check out this post. Answers some of the questions. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. Pure Insanity

I looked at it today at work. There is no name on it. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif It has the patent # but no name. Go figure. You should be able to get it off a tool truck.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Try this with the patent number - Patent Search, maybe you can get some info about it. </font color>

13. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

PI can you post a pic of the tool so I kniow what I'm looking for? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

14. Pure Insanity

I was thinking about that a little bit ago. LOL! Ill TRY to remember to bring my dig. cam. to work tommorow. Ive been trying to remember it for 2 weeks now. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Really its a super simple tool. Basicly its a screwdriver handle, but its in the middle, then it has shafts coming off both sides that are angled right at the ends and have tubes on the ends that are what pushes the fingers.

Ill have to get a pic.... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

15. Pure Insanity

OK I got a bunch of pics taken today and I have a few of the tool. I will put them on my webshots maybe tommorow. I feel like total crap tonite for some reason, and I dont feel up to messing w/ it. Feels like I am getting the flu. But its summer and I live in Fla!?!? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif