Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Everybody with 52's up front please read

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Jan 9, 2005.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Just wanting to clarify a few things in my own mind. Quite a few guys on here running 7.25" shackles or close to that. If you are running this length shackle did you keep the overload in the pack or not?

Personally I'm using a 6" shackle with the overload and the spring eye won't contact the frame with the amount of testing I've been able to do in the shop. Fork lifting the tire up and so on.

So, with the overload in place I'm starting to see where you won't need as much shackle due to the fact that the spring will only flatten out so far.

Anybody else?

2. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I hear ya! My shackles are 5.5" and they are too long, the angle is horrible. How anybody is runnin' longer is beyond me...

I am using the stock/flat overloads for added height and spring life. This week I am going to replace them with curved overloads upside-down. This will keep my height and allow a little more compression, yet still provide support on jumps, ramps, etc.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

my 52's were 4 leafs + the overload. I removed the overload and replaced it w/ the bottom leaf off of a set of Skyjacker springs. I run the 7.25" shackle, but the mount is moved forward 3" in the frame to gain a better shackle angle. I can post up a pic later.

4. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

I run a stock spring pack overloads and all, just unclamped it, with out moving my shackle I found 5" the length to keep the spring off the frame...

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I followed Sandmans lead and went with a full spring pack and ORDs shackles, I'v only driven it a couple times since doing this but it does great and the shackle is straight up and down when its sitting on flat ground

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think it mostly depends on how much you want to invert your springs and where you left the rear spring hanger at. Where's your rear spring hanger? Did you move it forward?

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

whats the best shackle angle? Kicked back a little bit i suppose, but does anyone have a picture of the ideal shackle angle for the front?

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Here is my shackle angle w/ 7.25" shackles, 52's, and the shackle moved forward.

[​IMG]

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, thats a good question. Some suspension guru needs to enlighten us all. People post that they did "yada yada to fix the shackle angle" all the time, but no one ever says what exactly the optimal shackle angle is, and why. It'd be usefull info...

j

10. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

No i didnt keep the overload. I added one leaf from my old 6" bds pack, and took out two of the originals plus the over load. I think my shackle angle is great. But im no expert

[​IMG]

11. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

did you move your rear shackle hager forward at all b/c it looks like the stock location and your running 7.25 shackles right?

12. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

IIRC, about 30* is what you want. also, the more angle, the more droop you'll get.

13. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

WHite-Rhyno runs modified 56's instead of 52's, and his rear shackle is in the stock location w/ a 7.25" shackle.

14. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

yea, what he said...

15. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

My shackle hanger is in the exact same spot as Poohbairs in his photo. I'm only using a 6" shackle with the over load and have a touch more angle than Poohbair.

Poohbair, Is your overload still in there?

16. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

No. I removed the overload, added the shortest leaf from a set of Skyjacker springs, and a thin shim

17. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Guru to the rescue.... :cool1: :grin: (well I like to think I am)

Shackle angle, I have been reading up on this. Set your angle around 15-20 for a normal feel and 20-25 for a soft feel and 25-40 for a super cushy (maybe too soft) feel. I have my rear shackle at 40* on stock 5 leave 1/2 ton suburban springs and don't even know when the rear end goes over a bump. There are too things to look for when achieving the shackle angle, you maximum shackle angle and your ride height angle. For maximum angle assume the springs will flatten out and add a 1/2" to that number (56 = 56.5 ; 52=52.5 ; and so on). This extra 1/2" will accont for any bushing give. You measure from the captured spring eye to the shackle area, assuming the spring is completely flat you do not want the maximum shackle angel to be greater than 45* or it will collapse when fully compressed. For your ride height angle you will need to know the length from the captured spring eye to the shackle eye when the spring is arched.

As for the overload vs no overload, it doesn't matter. If you get to the overload you have successfully flattened the spring out and it is the longest it will ever be, thus the shackle required for this will be the same as the same spring pack with no over load. You will be moving the shackle the same amount (and the spring as close to the frame as it will ever be) with either set up.

Hope this helps.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

19. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

"Here is my shackle angle w/ 7.25" shackles, 52's, and the shackle moved forward." Poohbair

[​IMG]

This is the angle I would rather have. Poohbair, How did you move your hanger forward? Looks like a PITA!

If we end up having to move the shackle hanger forward, why do we bother moving the front hanger forward?

20. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

:confused: