Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Everyone who installed a body lift, help me out!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Feb 25, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Decided to keep my 4" lift and going to put my 3" body lift on it. I have had this 3" lift for over a year and a half. I'm getting tired of it just sitting here in my bedroom and I can't afford to buy a suspension lift right now. I have paid close attention to what everyone has had questions about on the body lifts......now it's my turn! How do I get to all the nuts for the body bolts? Like, do I have to take the carpet up or what? Any help on this subject would be great. Thanks!

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

I haven't put on a body lift before but I have removed the body from mine to redo it, you will have four bolts in the bed of your k-5, on mine I have one under each floorpan in the cab and two under the radiator. the only ones I can get to the bolts are in the bed and you can lift the carpet and see the heads of these and the ones under the radiator. the ones under the floor pans of the cab have a built in nut so you just have the bolt to take out.

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately you do have to take the carpet up( so basically your partially stripping the interior). BTW if you were going to put on new body bushings( polyurethane or rubber) DO IT NOW. It will turn ito a PITA real quick if you dont have a sawzall to help stupid stuck bolts. From the top. Disconnect the steering column from the steering box. Loosen the fan shroud and take it away from radiator. Look at your radiator hoses too, see if they are long enough then get ready to trim the shroud. You NEED the shroud if you want effective cooling. The wiring harness that runs from the drivers side down to the frame rail to the rear of the truck will need to disconnected and tucked away to avoid getting damaged. Disconnect the fuel filler hose and cover it with a plastic bag( keeps stuff out of the fuel tank). There is a tensioning bar for the tailgate some trucks had this attached to the frame others had it attached to the bumper. If its touching the bumper or frame your going to have to disconnect it. Now I found it easier to do one side at a time but its up to you.

SLOWLY jack up body. And look for any of this: Check your fuel lines and brake lines(from the booster on the firewall) to see if they need to be lengthend. Check all electrical harnesses for stretch or possible abrasion against ANYTHING. I ran into two K5's that needed to have the body grounds lengthend(pass. side). See if the battery cables need to be lengthend too.

When you get ready to tighten it down double check mounts to see that they are oriented correctly or havent moved. Hope this helps you out. Email me if you run into anything.

[​IMG]

4. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

While you are at it, get an Energy Suspension polyurethane kit from, say, Summit for about $60 to replace stock rubber bushings. Also, I tossed the grade 5 hardware that came with the body lift kit and went to a good hardware store and bought grade 8 stuff, lock washers and Nylock nuts. Also, you can buy hockey pucks and make "wafers" w/ a drill press and a lathe if you want to lift up the rear a little, level the truck or sneak an extra 3/8" up front to avoid any future tire/sheetmetal contact. I have a 76 Blazer and I just tore out the whole interior since it was all musty, susceptible to water retention and heavy! I put in racing seats, harnesses, a Supermat, fiberglass cloth and resin and (soon) Line-X. Your '88 carpet and seats probably has alot of good years left, though. Anybody who installs a body lift should realize that the lever on the t-case may not go far enough forward to engage the 4 wheel low. I didn't realize this until I was on a trail run, and we had to use tin snips to cut the floor to make room.

5. BLzr4x4ngkid

Yeah I knew that about the body bushings and I planned on buying a kit for that. So what parts of the carpet am I going to need to lift up and how do I get the 4wd shifter to move into 4wd-low? I know that a couple of guys around here have done something to their 4wd shifter so that the entire thing still sits in the original position. Like it is when there isn't a body lift. I will have to check what they did, but maybe that would help a lot. This way allowed for both 4-HI and 4-LO without any cutting.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

6. wfahlgren

wfahlgren 1/2 ton status

Is it the same on a 72 Blazer?

7. BLzr4x4ngkid

I'm not sure. I have heard mixed feelings on that one. Maybe someone will respond with the info you need. Wish I could help, but I hardly know anything about doing a body lift on the one that I have. Good luck man.