Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Everyone who thinks its Fred in IT's problem say I!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ddragggon, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

Everyone who thinks its Fred in IT\'s problem say I!

so, I'm sick and out of work for like 3 days... I come back, and I feel just like `fred' in all the CDW commercials... I have several dozen unreasonable demands, with stupid deadlines on them, most of which are impossible, stupid, too costly to try, and in some cases Illegal (software piracy). I think I'm going to get me a shirt with `Fred' embroidered above the front pocket, and start wearing that to work. to quote some of the commercials:

`you know that virus email you told me not to open fred? well, I opened it'
    `I'm off to crash the servers! wish me luck fred!
    `hey fred, did you order that completely incompatible software yet? '
    `fred, here's your list of unreasonable expectations, I'd like filled before lunch. '
    `I'd love to help you fred, but as you know, I am completely and utterly clueless...'

gah, its sick because its SO DAMN TRUE!! I laugh at those commercials which satirize my plight as a network administrator, but deep down inside, I'm crying like a little girl with a skinned knee,on a desolate saltflat.

anyone else here:
    -seen the CDW commercials I blabl incessantly about?
    -know how I feel
    -work IT/MIS/net administration
    -wish horrible things to befall your boss when he makes stupid demands?

what triggered this outpouring of rage you ask? well, here I am eating lunch, when I get a call from the VP saying ` do oyu have internet filters blocking sports sites or something? ' yes, we do... `can you unblock them? I need to check somehting out....'

gahh why do we have filters, if the boss is going to go around, and strong arm through everything? how can he demand his workers not surf the net for sports scores, pr0ns, stupid animations, disgusting pictures, and other such company timewasters, if he isn't held accountable to the same degree as them? as much as I like this place, I just don't think I can work under such pretenses, and moral plights much longer. its such a complete crock of crap with all the little things they do. I have a semi firm set of moral guidelines, which include no favoritisim, even with the big bosses, no internal cameras to spy on employees, and no snooping through an employees personal files. the management on the other hand sees it as `its company property, and therefor we can do whatever we want with it' if you can't trust your employee's, fire them, and get some you can trust.

oh well, enough of `teh rant' for now...

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

2. Eagle

Eagle Registered Member

Re: Everyone who thinks its Fred in IT\'s problem say I!

Amen Brother. I feel your pain. The management here is the same way. Do as I say not as I do. What the $#%^ is that about. So do what I do. Create a black folder and keep copies of all non-police activities in it. Yes I know. I am to chicken to ever use it but it makes me feel a ton better, and I now have a safety net should the sh*t hit the fan.

<font color=red>The secrete of marriage:</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>Find a woman that will kill you the slowest.</font color=blue>

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

if the sh*t ever really hits the fan, I have enough Jack-of-all-trades skills to get a job just about anywhere, at the same basic pay rate I'm at now... on top of that, I also have 2 standing invitations to other jobs... only thing is, they're metal shop jobs, where I'll have to abandon my cushy desk job, although they'll be a lot more interesting...

my saftey net is actually 1-800-no-piracy or whatever that whistleblower phone number is... should I be put in a position where I either have to bend over for them, or resign, I'll throw that trump card out, then probably quit anyway, and most likely call the number too. oh well, we'll see how things turn around in the next few months...

-Rich

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

My problem I always had was telling some A-hole boss to go f%*# himself. So now I'm a private contractor (install bathtubs) I go to work and look things over if something is out of squar or something is in the way oh well I just go tell the supervisor to get things squared away or the people getting the house dont get to take a bath and if he dont like it I pack my things up and head home.
    Corey 78K5

5. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

If I wasn't self employed I'd be unemployed. I can relate.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ahhhh, Fred in IT...

That was me at my old job. Except I was a studio engineer, producer, jock, AND Fred in IT, so literally EVERYTHING was my problem... Needless to say I found a job that's much more focused and I actually can say "no!"... Except today, as I sit here with I think the flu, because I couldn't call in sick with 2 servers and a couple client machines to rollout by monday...

Good luck with it!! But remember, stupid peope have infiltrated everything! It's hard to find a job that isn't harboring a few!

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.

7. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Yup. I know how you feel, and I've been there before. Sometimes I wish I'd have become a diesel mechanic instead of going into computers. :-)

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Hail to all the "Freds"... [​IMG][​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5</a>

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

tomorrow should prove relatively interesting... I had to call in sick again today ( not only have I the flu, I also managed to get Pink Eye too... ) woke up with such a bad headache, I couldn't see strait, and ytherefore couldn't pilot my no powersteering, bad brakes suburban the 12 miles to work in rush hour traffic... fortunately, I generaly don't have too incredibly much to do when I am at work, and I managed to square most of the major stuff that'd come up yesterday. ( rolled out 3 new terminals, fixed bugs in 2 others, shuffled backups etc) now all I need to do, is come up with 12 USB and MAC compatible scanners, as well as software to run legaly with those... joy of all joyous joys.... but not until tomorrow...

-Fred

10. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I think an electric cattle prod cures most of the stupid people problems. When they toddle up to you and make a stupid request..you stare at them like they are insane, then quickly ZAP the living bejeezus out of them. Aversion therapy. If they say something that makes sense, give them ONE cookie. LOL!!

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

11. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

you've been reading too much BOFH... :-P although the BOFH is my idol, and I dream of the day I can work for a giant enough mega corporation that I'll be able to get away with that kind of stuff...

-Rich