Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Everything for a TUNE UP???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anatomiczero, Feb 2, 2003.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

The engine hasn't had a tune up, well ever. It was put in 6 years ago. So what's everything I should change? Cap & rotor, wires, plugs, re oil K&N filter. Well the only thing i've done to it was change the fuel filter.

2. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

im not sure if you have an o2 sensor but if you do, change it. if your running an automatic tranny and youve never changed the fluid i would not do it now the fresh fluid will eat up the clutch packs i would also change the fuel filter again if its been a while plus all of the other things you mentioned plus maybe some fresh gear oil in the axles lube up all of you zirc fittings plus some fresh fluid for your transfer case and check over your belts and hoses hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

Cap, rotor, plugs, oxygen sensor, clean and re oil the filter, oil change, oil filter, trans filter and new trans fluid, change front/rear diff oil and t-case oil, pcv valve, and run a bottle of GM combustion chamber cleaner thru her (before the oil change and oxygen sensor change) this works wonders, and then consider adding a fuel system additive/cleaner (this should give you 40 or 50 km more on a tank of fuel)

4. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

no o2 sensor because it's an 80 with a carb.

5. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

just had to check had an 81 with carb and o2 sens

6. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

What's involved with that combustion chamber cleaner? Does it smoke a lot, what should I expect? thanks.

7. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

yeah it will smoke just go to the dealership and get some top cylinder cleaner i belive thats what its called and find a vacume hose to your intake thats not big enough to kill the engine and stick it in the bottle then start her up and sit there watching it because it will try to kill the engine just like carb cleaner so you have to take the vac line out from time to time run the whole bottle through and dont bother about the smoke