Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Everything is Relative

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Feb 8, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

So I'm almost done with the living room on my house (it was supposed to be completely remodeled the week around christmas...). I can't figure out what to do right now.
    I installed a new drywall cieling in the living room, fully finished, completed, forgot it. Last week, the toilet above the LR started giving us issues.
    I knew the wax seal was shot, so shut off the water to that toilet when we did the cieling so it wouldn't hurt the cieling by letting anyone use that toilet. I drained the pot, but last week saw a wet mark in the cieling, so put my hand through it (yes, through it; it had been saoking for weeks apparently). I went upstairs and noticed the toilet was full again, so plunged it (sending the water to the living room), and checked the shut off valve, which twisted the pipe a hair, and made a sudden sound of running water, and splashing in the living room... The supply pipe must've had a hairline crack for years that didn't leak until I shut it off for a couple weeks, then when I aggravated it, opened up wide. When I finally took the toilet off, and tried unscrewing the fitting to it, the pipe just came out of the floor with the crapper.

So to repair it, I can completely rip out and replace the tile floor (we plan to eventually anyway, just not in the current budget), rip out the wall the pipe runs up and run a new pipe up it. I'm thinking we're going to go the wall route, since the pipe may be easier to work with that way, and I'm still in sheetrocking mode...
    My predicament right now is:
    Do I fix/repatch the living room cieling now so we can move into it next weekend? This would be nice, but when we repair the pipe, might suck if there's a leak during the repair process that spews on the ceiling again... I know it could take a little water.
    Do I start ripping the wall open for the repair? I'm not doing the piping work, so it might wait a week.
    If I start ripping into the wall, I have to fix the fixture in that hallway; if I fix that fixture, I have to pull new wire to 3 other fixtures, since the bx is too old to work with anymore and crumbles. Also, if I fix that fixture, I have to pull a new romex down one wall, along the basement rafters, back up the outside wall to the second floor where the fixture is, so the 3-way switch will work again. If I'm pulling that wire, I want to finally get my flippin conduit into the wall.

So I'm right now stalling until the home repair fairy comes to fix something for me...

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I really can't give you any remodeling advice, but I would think that maybe keeping us updated with pictures would be cool if it's possible. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

lol, I appreciate the shoutout anyway... I do have a web page up with some progress photos, I just haven't put the link up here yet... I have to go over it and carefully remove choppable photos of myself...

I ended up patching the hole in the cieling just now. I want this damn room to be done... Hopefully get the floor people in this week to get the floor fixed (or carpeted, depending on what $$ the floor guy says it will take to make it nice)...

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Are ya telling me this ain't you? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif [​IMG]

5. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i used to be a plumber so trust me on this run the supply line in the wall its much eaiser to fix and run it in copper also you will be fine patching the celing just shut the water off before you get started fixing the pipe and open a lower valve some where else you can also open up another faucet some where and blow through it to get the acess water out just dont open hot and cold on same faucet at same time it will siphon the water out of the hot water heater