Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EVERYTHING you need to get involved!

Discussion in 'Land Use' started by zakk, Jan 20, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

POST HERE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO GET INVOLVED!!!

<hr></blockquote>

I'll go first.

I have been part of the call in efforts to reverse the "switchboard swamp" and I have been relaying information back to ColoradoK5.com
    In the past I have also sent in the bulk e-mails to VP Chaney to oppose land grabs, etc.

And I will continue to do more...i will not become a mall running 4x4 without a fight...

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5
    World's Ugliest Lawn Ornament
    [​IMG] CK5's Moab 2002 or Bust!! [​IMG]

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I joined Blue Ribbon Coalition, am considering joining Sierra Club (seriously, to help moderate their viewpoint AND to see what they're up to), as well as sending regular emails to our state senators and congressmen/women. Our local club - Oregon Bushhackers - does a good job of keeping us informed and involved. Like most of these issues, apathy is all of our biggest enemy.

Keep up the posting about Land Use issues.........good job [​IMG]

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

TTT

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Stop Global Whining
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

apathy is all of our biggest enemy.

<hr></blockquote>

very true...

BTT

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

TTT

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I went to a Land Use Training Workshop, here in Ut. I found out about it from a post here on CK5. Very interesting.

How to get involved (with a area of intrest)

- Know who manages the public land in your area, or an area you are interested in. Get a map of the area, ask local chamber of commerce, county commissioners, or another land user.

- Take a note of the manager's (it's) name, location, contact information. (Forest services, BLM, Park Service, ect.)

- Federal agencies are listed in the phone book. Forest Service is under the Department of Agriculture. BLM and Park Service are under the Department of Interior. Contact either by phone or by mail

- Write to the mangers of the area you are interested in and request to be on the mailong list. Include your name, address, and phone number on the request

- Stay informed and get involved with issues that concern the area.

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Twiztid on 01/20/02 03:21 PM.</FONT></P>

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Now my problem is, When I get done reading the legal mumbo-jumbo (I find it confuseing) and don't know if I should be fore or against it.

Currently, I'm just tring to figure it all out. I'm new to the Land Use Issues. I think my best bet would be to join a local club and/or larger organization, like blue ribbon.

Lotza reading....

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=14359&amp;referrerid=1494>This list</a> can help those of you not sure where you talents and activities can be most important. Read the links, sign up for the alerts. At least be a better educated person when it comes to these important issues!

There is now no excuse...

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

What I do and have done:
    I'm the land use dirrector for my club. Glub hit 80 Family's last year.
    My club is the main labor force for the only North GA ORV Park. two of my clubs founding members are or were MAJOR people. The main starter of My club is Dennis Noes who just steped down for the united presidency. Another founding member is Stefan Roth. Was president of Southern and is now the Vice President. Both live pretty close to me.
    I am a member of United sfwda.org
    Member of Blue ribbon.
    Member of Tread lightly
    Member of Share the trails
    I have participated in many FS meetings including the Roadless issues, 10 year revison for my forests.
    Something I would like you folks to be aware of is United has a 2 inch thick Manual titled "Public Land Owner's Manual" sub titled "A private citizen's Guide to Participating i Public Land Management Decision Making". Excelent book. Tells you how the system works and how to work towards multiple use goals. Should be available off united site. I think there is also order forms in the United publications that you will receive if your a member. I think it's $25 shipped. Something that if you are a member of an orginized club that it should be in your club archives.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

10. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Let's see...

I have made phone calls to make my position known to the Secretary's office, Forest Service and BLM.

Emailed countless Senators and other key people.

Submitted my membership app to United.

I have friends in the BLM and the Forest Service who have some pull that I have conversed with and have found that they are actively involved in conservation rather than banning use of lands and are also very involved in these issues (wheelers themselves).

On a side note...The Sierra Club wants to drain Lake Powell here in AZ...I can't support ANY extremist conservation effort. Responsible conservation is the key...

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/26246038MbQsYWKcbo>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

11. FWP

FWP CRS

Read the links, sign up for the alerts.

<hr></blockquote>
    Thanks Zakk.

<hr></blockquote>

VOTE and..

Stay involved in your local club.

Have you guys ever read through that mumbo jumbo from the BLM (OHV strategy from last year), Man, talk about vague.....But, keep up with the government, that's how they perpetuate themselves....

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5</a>

12. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I've contacted the Local Army Corp of Eng and have setup some communications for our purpose. They are open to at least hear my/our concerns and requests. Can anyone help me out with some verbage and plans of action with this?

Still hoping the GOV'T will ban the use of loud stereos with RAP music. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mccords.s5.com/myk5/index.htm>NashvilleK5</a>

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Member of the<a target="_blank" href=http://www.jarbidgeshovelbrigade.com/>Jarbidge Shovel Brigade</a>
    We were sucessful in opening a county road.[​IMG] That was closed by the USFS and Those elietist Nazis at Trout Unlimited
    We also support other organisations standing up to the Feds in un lawful land / water closeurs.
    I also Write numerious letters/ pettions ect to my Govt. Reps

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

14. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

blue ribbon coalition, e-mailing congressmen/senators, still looking for a club in my area

"growin old is not for sissies"
    77k5 400/350/np203/stock for now

15. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

E-mailing politicians might make us feel like we're doing something, BUT it is known in the marijuana law reform community that politicians don't bother reading e-mail. If you really want to get your point of view noticed by politicians paper via snail mail is the most effective way. I'm not saying that you shouldn't send them e-mail and sign on-line petitions but they aren't nearly as effective as putting the stamp on the letter and putting it in the mail box. YOU CAN'T DELETE A PEICE OF PAPER IN AN ENVELOPE! A pile of letters on their desk is hard to ignore. Write letters! I do. If you don't have a printer put your letter on a disc and take it to a print/copy shop or to work and print it out mail it and that will really make a difference.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)

16. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Can anyone give me some good, active clubs that are in Texas or include Texas. I checked out some of the others, but I'd like to be able to be active in my own back yard, not to mention make it to some meetings etc. I checked the Southern club that Grim gave, but Texas wasn't one of the states. I want to make a difference, but I also want to be able to attend get togethers, meetings, cleanups etc without driving for a week to get there. Thanks.

Diesel

Shouldn't it be called uncommon sense?

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Moving to land use.
    Thank's for the information Zakk!

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

18. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

NP. glad to see people using it. i hope it gets alot of hits here...

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

19. Little Giant

Little Giant Registered Member

There is now no excuse...

<hr></blockquote>

Well unfortunately I am just getting started. I'm a member of a club which has membership in the UFWDA. As well I recently signed up for a class 2 individual membership to UFWDA.

The club I am in wants to do more, but we lack direction. I would be interested to hear from others what they are doing for public relations or land use issues on a club level. My club has a lot of motivated, young, and energetic members. I want to help them direct that towards something. I guess as an example, if we came up with a good activity, I know I could get 30 strong and able hands willing to do something and give an afternoons labor. But what could this something be?

Last year the club adopted a park. Not sure if anyone else's state has similiar 'Adopt a Highway' or 'Adopt a Park' programs, but I imagine they do. There was a waiting list to Adopt a highway (lots of land, few highways up here I guess, haha), so we chose to adopt a park. I was impressed the first park clean up we had, it was raining but still the majority of the members showed up. Some even brought waders and went into the water and literally raked up trash. Anyway, the club has grown and now has the manpower (non gender specific) to do more. Ideas?