Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exactly how much do Hill's Shackles lift the front???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, May 20, 2002.

Exactly how much do Hill\'s Shackles lift the front???

I have asked this before,but never got a real answer, people only told me how much longer then stock they were. So how much lift do you get out of their shackles??? Thanks 80K20

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Re: Exactly how much do Hill\'s Shackles lift the front???

I would have to say i got about another inch.

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I just put these on a buddy's K10 and it got 1''. But I am no longer interested in these for my K5 because they don't get any more clearance between the frame than stock. The reason is that the tube that connects the two plates on the shackle was welded on too high. If you are looking for more performance, get the ORD's they are only 1/2'' longer than stock so you will only get 1/4'' of lift. If you are just looking for that extra inch, check into ORD's zero rates. Personally, I am making my own shackles that are 1'' longer than stock (1/2'' of lift) with nothing connecting the two plates. After all, it is only two flat plates of steel, so nothing too complicated.

3. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I want to make some too, what type of steel do I use. I know some is stronger than others. I was thinking of using a 1/4" thickness.

4. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

I'm building mine out of 3/8" stainless. Overkill for sure, but since I happen to have it, I figured I might as well use it. I'm going inch and a half to two inches over stock.

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

they don't get any more clearance between the frame than stock<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I have to disagree---the only reason i even bought new shackles was because the springs would hit the frame and i have a nice notch on both sides, and since i put the shackles i haven't had a single problem, and my truck gets pretty flexxy.i will say this the ORD design will give you just that much more clearance to the frame because they don't have the tube in teh middle.

6. Blazinaire

1/4'' is plenty thick, I made a set out of 3/8'' and they looked mofo thick. I am making another set that is 7''long top to bottom x 1 1/2'' wide x 1/4'' thick, this should actually be sturdier than the ones I made out of 3/8'' because those were 7 1/2'' long with no cross support. FYI these will give me 1/2'' lift

7. Blazinaire

That was just my experience with them. I think they may have just screwed up when they made that set because I went to their shop and they were out, so they said that they would make some that day and get them powder coated the next day. I guess that is what happens when you rush things. I just decided to make my own when I realized how simple it was and that it wouldn't cost me anything (I am using scraps that we had laying around)