Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exahust?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86chevybanshee, Jul 16, 2004.

1. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i went wheeling this evening and backed into a ditch and bent my tailpipes well more like kinked them, anyway i have 2 1/4 inch pipes into flowmaster 40's. i am thinking of cutting off the tail pipes at the muffler and just running turndowns, cuz im sick of bending tailpipes. any one running turndows after the muffler?

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

My friend down the stree does and it works fine it just echos it a little more so it will be louder but I think the louder the better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 86chevybanshee

indeed louder is better im just worried about the fun police /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

The only law for that is that the exahust has to be aimed away from the vehicle so if it is pointed down then I might be ok, I wouldnt really worry about it they wont be looking for exahust pipes sticking out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Dunno about there but here the rule is a bit different. For a truck once the exhaust is past the back of the cab you can use turn downs. But a K5 is considered a wagon and has to follow passenger car rules which state that the exhaust cannot end under a passenger compartment. Since the K5 is one big passenger compartment the exhaust must exit out from under the body either before or after the wheels to the side or out under the back bumper. Also keep in mind when driving on the highway you create high pressure under the vehicle which will force exhaust gases in the cab through any hole or crack in the floor and will also suck it in the back window if you run with it down. Turn downs on a K5 are just a bad idea IMHO.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have you thought about trying something like this?
    [​IMG]

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ive had a turn down on my exhaust for a couple of years now, no problems. It sticks out about 8" past my flowmasta fity and aims down and a little bit out towards the side. Works fine and I cant remember ever gagging on exhaust fumes. Yes, I know CO is odoless/tasteless, but all the other chit in exhaust fumes isn't and I know when I'm smellin that other poop. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'm running turndowns. I have 2.5" duals with Super 40s. I really like the way it sounds, badass. I was worried about carbon monoxide, so on our first road trip I brought along our CO detector from home and put it in the back. Never made a peep even with the windows all up.

I did angle the tips out a bit.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a 3" single exhaust with a turn down. I tore up my tailpipe on the rocks. So I just put a turn down after the muff.
    No problems with C0 in the cab. But I have all new seals in the tailgate

11. 86chevybanshee

ok, i cut the tailpipes off, i left about a foot after the muffler, then slaped some turndowns on it, sounded pretty good till i blew the engine /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif