Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exaust manifold questions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SummitXMK, Dec 13, 2001.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I am hearing/feeling a knock from my motor and it seems to have started at the same time I began hearing my exaust much louder. I was wondering if my exhaust manifolds could be loose or maybe the gasket has gone bad. Am I even close here?!?!? On the side at high speeds I seem to get a rolling growl. This all comes from the engine because when I kill the motor it all goes away. Thanks for any ideas guys!!!

SummitXMK

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 stock nuthin' special (YET)

2. 81Bogger

81Bogger Registered Member

.........could be the exaust manifold gaskets, exhaust can make wierd noises.......... if you can't see or hear any leaks around the manifolds what you may try is (when the truck is cold) run a hose over the top of the exhaust manifold.........if water shoots up, you have a small leak....seals are easy to replace, just pull the manifold bolts, clean off the old seal and slap on some new ones from any auto store...................I hope it is an exhaust issue, those are be best.....( er at least cheapest) [​IMG]

<font color=red>81</font color=red><font color=blue>Bogger<font color=blue>
    "<font color=blue>Mud under tire, and Fords in the rear view...<font color=blue>" [​IMG]

3. Don 79 TA

Don 79 TA Registered Member

possibly a leak, what about a lifter or pushrod too??

4. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Alright I will check out the manifold option first. That sounds the easiest and CHEAPEST!!! If anybody else has any ideas just let em rip!!!

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

run some sort of conditioner for your lifters like Marvel Mystery oil. Even if it is an exhaust leak, it won't hurt anything. A leaking manifold gasket will sound like a bad lifter. Sorta like a tick tick tick when it's idleing.
    You'll want to spray a penetrating oil on the bolts for the manifolds. Breaking those bolts is real common. But don't spray the stuff on a hot motor. LOL! Also, you'll want to inspect them for cracks. You might have to take the manifold all the way out so you'll also need the gaskets for where the manifold meets the exhaust pipe.

<font color=blue>What part of my brilliance do you not understand?</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

6. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Mine did the same thing. When I took the passenger side manifold off it was completely broken in half. Auto zone has em with lifetime warranty for like 90 buck a pece.....

Surfing is Life...

7. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the help guys. Does anybody have a preference for the gaskets. Or if I need it an exhaust manifold.

SummitXMK