Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exaust smells likr rotten eggs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Jun 27, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

my sister just bought a 1990 4runner with the v-6 in it. it is a super clean rig and looks great. it starts funny though like it is flooded and it constantly smells like rotton eggs from the exaust pipe, i gave it a tune-up, new plugs,wires,cap,and rotor. what i am really confused about is where this smell is coming from? any ideas?

2. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Check your timing... I'm not sure what else I'd do...

3. bigbadchev84

timing is good, once it starts it has no problems at all, it seems a little gutless. it has 134,000 on it and has been maintained on a regular basis with all reciepts to prove it.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Newfangled cars =))

Little googling brings up

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/a/aa120702a.htm

(see below)

I donno that on a new rig like that the timing is, umm, user-adjustable. I thought the rotten-egg smell was the cat ... maybe the cat is plugged?

-- A

The Car Uses More Fuel Than Normal; Strong Odor Coming From The Exhaust:
    You notice a tank of gas doesn't last as long as it used to. Also the exhaust smells like rotten eggs. You may have also noticed that the car doesn't have the same amount of power as it once did. This type of problem seems to get worse once it develops and can lead to other serious problems, such as not starting.
    Possible causes:

The engine's coolant level may be too low: Refill cooling system with proper type of coolant for your engine.

If you have a carburetor, the choke may not be set properly, or the choke may not be working correctly: Check automatic choke linkage and choke heater operation. Repair, replace or adjust as required.

The engine may have mechanical problems: Check vacuum lines and fittings for leaks. Check engine compression. Check for broken fittings and mounts.

The fuel pressure regulator may be operating at too high a pressure: Perform fuel pressure test and repair or replace faulty component(s).

The ignition timing may be set wrong: Check and adjust ignition timing.

There may be a fault in the computerized engine and emission control systems: Scan injection and emission control system for Diagnostic Trouble codes. Replace or repair as required.

The engine's thermostat may be stuck closed: Replace thermostat.

The fuel injectors may be stuck partially open: Clean or replace fuel injectors.

5. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

make any wierd noises starting? How long do you have to crank to get it going?

6. '71k204x4454

'71k204x4454 Registered Member

The actual smell is from the Catalytic Converter. I don't know why it smells like that. You'll have to find someone that has one. I've only ever had one and it didn't last to long. (It took a rock so off it came)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  7. bigbadchev84

dosent make any wierd noises, seems to fire up better if you pump the gas or hold the pedal down, i know your not supposed to with fuel injection, but it seems to help. usually you have to crank for about 30 sec or so sometimes are better than others

8. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

sounds like it's time for a new cat, the way the cat works is it is kinda a filter and just like any filter it will get clogged therefore the engine is not able to exhaust properly it is probably the origonal cat so i'd replace it and that should help a great deal it is relatively inexpensive at any competent exhaust shop.

9. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I would say the ''rotten egg smell'' is the Catalytic Converter.. I have seen them get to the point where they won't run over 30 mph and have a rough time starting..

Your choices are

[A] Take it off and do away with it all together

Replace it

[C] Take it off but follow these directions and put it back on

Run a horse shoe spike thru it to get it unclogged.. Or on some there is a cap on the bottom of it that can be taken out.. If it has the plug on the bottom take and pop it out with a screwdriver and you will see little beads fall out the take it down the road and blow it out.. You can get new plugs at NAPA and tap it back in with a hammer..

I have seen these methods work on a Chevy after the converter was cleaned out and put back on it run like new..

10. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Got to be the cat, been there. Just give the rig a little warm up and watch the cat turn red. Note the pressure on the tail pipe side and beat the cat out and put straight pipe in. :)