Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Excess slop in steering column

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlackK5, Sep 11, 2000.

1. BlackK5

BlackK5 Registered Member

My steering column on my 87 k5 now has alot of excess play in it where the tilt mechanism connects. I can move my steering wheel from side to side and up and down about 1 inch +. What is the cause of this, and what is the fix?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Do a search on this subject. I think BigBurb had a slick way of fixing this.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

If you take the steering wheel off and the turn signal switch out of the way you can get down deep into the column and there are 4 screws that if you take them out and lock tight them back in will fix your problem.

David 75K5

[​IMG] http://www.goldrush.coloradok5.com

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I think there are only 3 screws in there. 2 can be gotton to without taking the tilt apart. there are special tools required to take the tilt apart. If you get those 2 screws out, and use loctite and reinstall, they will usually stay tight. I think you will need a torx bit on those screws too.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!