Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

excessive air in brake lines?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MattK, Feb 17, 2006.

1. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

alright i did the rear disk swap on my 14bff. used stocker 3/4ton calipers. it seems i cant get all the air out of the lines. ive got a super mushy pedal.

its feelin like i have an infinite amount of air in the lines. every time i crack the bleeder i got air comin out. this is after big bottles(quarts?) of brake fluid. the front have bled no problem, all of my issues are at the rears.

my gut is tellin me air is getting introduced somewhere, but wouldn't that mean there would be a leak somewhere?

any ideas?

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

took me forever to do mine. i put in a new p valve from inline tubing, and i had to replace my master cylander because i tried to bleed them so much i had a leak. just a couple of things to look at
    well worth it for the stopping power!!

3. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

are you using caddy calipers? i did that swap with caddy calipers on my old tj, those calipers use a lot of fluid!!! bleed them off their mounts too. otherwise you will never get all the air out.. and make sure your truck is level. sounds simple, but i made the mistake of bleeding brakes in my driveway with just a little slant to it... stupid mistake but it was such a simple oversight. made all the difference in the world.

4. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

use a HF vacuum pump to suck the air out and pull fluid through the lines. kicks ass for $15 and no more air problem

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

thanks guys, looks like ill have to pick up one of these vaccuum pumps then.

btw...does it sound crazy to go through 3 large bottles of fluid and still have air coming out of the bleeders? it just seems like a lot of air to be coming out.

6. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

If all of the lines are dry to start with they will hold a LOT

7. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

I was with him when he put the new brakes on. We ended up putting new hardlines on the axle. 1 going to each caliper. Those are empty along with the calipers. Not sure how much came out of the main line going to the rear.

8. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

every time I have changed a hard line I have lost most all of the fluid in that system