Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Excessive Body Roll

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by behemoth, May 1, 2002.

1. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I don't know exactly what's causing this (I suspect bad shocks) but when I roll through a curve, it feels like I'm about to roll over. I'm not - but that's what it feels like. It wasn't real noticable at first, but after a while, it was enough to bother me. I'm getting new wheels and tires Friday and I want to lift it 3" to 4", so I'll replace all springs and shocks then. But in the mean time - anybody have any clue as to where I should start looking? Body mounts maybe?

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Do you have a sway bar? If so, what are the conditions of the bushings? Tires with large sidewalls can also contribute. Body mounts are less likely to be the culprit, althoug I would replace them if they are worn. Worn bushings in the spring eyes and shacles as well as loose suspension bolts could also be a culprit. In my experiance, It is a combination of lots of little things that cause it.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

In a long sweeping corner, shocks should have *no* effect on body roll...in tight fast maneuvers yes, (when weight transfer is fast) but swaybars and *springs* make a huge difference in body roll.

Stock body bushings at most are 2" thick, even if they were completely gone with that kind of gap, you'd have a quick movement of 2", then nothing.

I'd suspect springs if its just one of those "wow this thing really leans" on sweeping corners, and wait until you put the new springs on to worry about it, if it still exists. My guess is it won't, unless the springs you put on are lighter duty than the ones on there now. In my understanding, lift springs are inherently "stiffer" so that should make a fairly large difference. don't forget though, that raising a truck raises its center of gravity, so tendency to roll will increase...but I'd bet that with the new springs, even with a lift, body roll will be felt less.