Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Excessive Oil Consumption

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Terry, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Terry

Terry Registered Member

I have a 91 Chev pickup with the 6.2 diesel. It runs very good & smooth but it is consuming/burning vast quantities of oil (one quart per 75 miles). It does not leak oil (that I can see). I get lots of blue smoke when the engine is under heavy load (up steep hills).

Is this a new engine situation or a ring/valve job? What is a fair price for a ring/valve job?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You definitely need rings if not more, this is excessive consumption.

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

The best way to find out is to get a compression tester for a diesel with the proper adapter, then test the compression. If it is low in any cylinders, put a little oil in the cylinder and see if the compression comes up drastically, if so new rings and possibly a rebore or rehone are in order.

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem, It all started after I replaced my heads, before that I only had to add oil every once in awhile.

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I have been told not to do the oil procedure as you suggested on a diesel. This works fine on a gasoline engine, but on a diesel, it's very possible to ignite the oil you squirted in while cranking the engine over. A diesel engine will burn just about any kind of oil. If this were to happen, it would probably ruin your compression guage.

Casey

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

How does the engine start and run? I would think that a diesel with rings bad enough to let that much oil past wouldn't have enough compression to start and run well. I would be leaning towards a head problem, possibly ruined valve stem seals or something, allowing engine oil to be sucked in during the intake sroke.

Casey

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well if you remove all the injectors when you do your testing I don't think a bad engine will run on just one cylinder.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

You could just remove the glow plugs, which is where the compression tester goes, and you're right, it won't run with the other 7 cylinders relieving compression. However, it could still ruin the guage if the tested cylinder ignites. And it could backfire and harm the starter.

I don't know of this actually happening to anyone, but I've been warned about it by several others. It's one of those things where it probably wouldn't happen, but just might possibly perhaps in an off chance could happen.

Casey

9. BlueBlazer

Never really thought of that, but I suppose its possible. I doubt the oil in liquid form would ever ignite, but its not really worth the risk. Maybe a cylinder leakdown test would be a better idea.

10. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Maybe a cylinder leakdown test

[/ QUOTE ]
    How do you do that?

11. BlueBlazer

12. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Cool thanks!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If it is low in any cylinders, put a little oil in the cylinder and see if the compression comes up drastically

[/ QUOTE ]

There's also a chance that you bend connecting rod if you squirt too much oil in the cylinder.
    I've also been told that not to use oil because there is chance that it might ignite.

14. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Hate to rob this thread. But its sort of on the same subject. How do you do a Compression TEST on a 6.2? I want to see how well mine is doing. And where online can you get the guages etc to do it?

15. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Unhook the fuel cut-off solenoid wire,screw off all the glow plugs.Srew on the compression gauge,start from cylinder no.1,and crank the engine couple of a seconds.You can read the compression from the gauge.Do this to all of the cylinders.