Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

excessive smoke choppy idle

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BowtieBlazer, Jun 13, 2005.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

The truck spoken about below is a 1982model 6.2L that I just replaced the heads on, and now I am getting excessive diesel smoke from just the passenger's side pipe and a real choppy idle. We had the injector lines completely loose to change the heads, so to bleed the injectors we removed the glow plugs and spun it over. While doing this all the lines got fuel, however a fuel mist seemed to only be pumped from cylinders 2,6,8 and cylinder #1 on the driver's side (and boy does is whistle under compression) once bled and turned over, I assume that was a fuel mist I was seeing, I still see air bubbles in the lines that connect inject to injector as over flow which seems normal. There is also a boat primer bulb connected inline from the tank before the primary filter on the intake, and this bulb looses a hard prime while the motor is running which doesn't seem abnormal....or is it? I noticed the main injector pump leaking from the throttle linkage before we purged the air however it has stopped, no fuel leaks to speak of....

Any ideas why one side would smoke excessively even at just idle vs the other?

Thinking further into it the pass side was the one that blew the head gasket, both heads were replaced but if injectors 1,2,6,8 seem to be working thats only 4 of the 8 could the others be weak or damaged if they were the ones on the leaky side?? I did not keep track of which injectors came from which head.

Also the bleed over lines from inject to injector are both capped at the furthest point(the firewall) is this correct?

another observation is that when the two main plugs to the main injectore pump are unplugged there is no change in the way the truck idles or runs, this seems abnormal.

I have a two pronged plug on the pass side in the loom with the glow plugs that seems not to have a home as well?

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Wow, I'm kinda suprised no-one replied.

Anyway, I'll give my .02

Sounds like air in the fuel, low compression or a leaking head gasket.

Did you use new head bolts? I hope so- they are TTY.

"so to bleed the injectors we removed the glow plugs and spun it over."- That won't bleed the air, loosen the fuel line nuts at the injector instead.

"I still see air bubbles in the lines that connect inject to injector as over flow which seems normal." It's not normal. Air in the return is bad. Air in any of the fuel circuit will make it run crappy.

Hope that helps some.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It runs, so what I'd do is crack each fuel line one at a time while it's running. When you have fuel dripping from the line and no bubbles tighten it back up and move on to the next line untiul all 8 are done. That'll get the air out, and probably make it run the way it should.

Return lines capped nearest the firewall is correct.

The two wires you're talking about are cold advance and temp inhibit (keeps the GP's from cycling when the motor is over a certain temp). Neither being removed will have any effect on a warm engine.

Rene

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I talked with an old timer friend of mine the other day who pointed a few things out, I did indeed crack teh injectors while it was running the other night, guess i forgot to mention that, the air disappeared but seem to only be getting spray, or maybe excessive from 4 injectors still--all injectors have fuel at the line.

My oldtimer friend suggested enough water in the combustion chamber would blow out the injectors(probably not limit the fuel they spray), which made sense to my only 4 and 3 of those on the excessively smoky side.

anyway my buddy opted for 8 rebuilt injectors from this site http://www.mwfi.com/dieselPage/gm_62. htm.htm#gm_injector
    6.2 L GM Diesel Fuel Injectors Fuel Pumps & Accessories
    and they should be here tomorrow

might want to add this one to the diesel links page.

also as far as blown head gasket thats what we just replaced and with new head bolts....(the type that has more threads and is supposed to hold torque)
    the exhaust out of that one pipe is blue and smells like pure diesel (I saw the smoke under a crisp light at night while idling trying to solve the problem....