Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Excessive Tread roll (after new tires)????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcjimmy88, Nov 12, 2006.

1. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

I just put two new tires on the rear of my Gmc 2500HD ext cab 8 ft bed. I did it all myself so I did the normal jack at the center diff (14 Bolt) and raised both wheels off the ground. After replacing the factory Brigdestone V-Steel's with Falken landair H/T's (both 245/75R16's) I noticed a signifigant increase in what seems to be body roll. I originally thought it was sidewall flex but after following my own truck (that was wierd) I see that the tire barely flexes at all but, the body seems to roll alot. After looking at the new original (spare) Bridgestone I see that the tread seems to be deeper and softer on the Falkens. I then tried to move the lugs on the factory spare and compared it to the new Falkens. The Falkens moved much more with alot less force. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and if so did it correct iotself with miles put on the tires. Was told by one that after a few hundred miles the treads will harden or wear and this will not be a problem. I plan on contacting Falken Mon. A.M. but thought I would post here for any inputs. But after putting 100+ miles on the tires I can say other than the tread roll they have a great ride. I will tow with them in the next few days (after making sure I do not have a defective tire) and will be able to comment on their ability/behavior in that situation. Thanks for any inputs/comments.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

new tires on the rig at work did this, of course they threw tires on with 32/32 of tread though, nice tall rubber, felt like the ass end was swinging side to side on me,,,weird.

Make sure the tire pressures are up where they are supposed to be, but for the most part, you have more rubber on the tire, it's gonna flex more till it's wore down some.

3. gmcjimmy88

Pressure is correct at 80 psi. I thought about lowering it a little but not sure if that would help or hurt it more. Thanks for the input though. Mainly wanted to know if I was crazy or if some other people had this similar problem.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

80 psi:eek1: ive never seen a tire run that high of a pressure! always like 30-40

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I recently put brand new 315/70/17 BFG a/t's on the back of the Burb, didn't notice any unusual swaying on that, but then again, it already does this pretty bad anyways.

and yeah, 80 does seem alittle high, maybe a light truck tire, multi-ply? heck my BFG's request 50 something,,,

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

fyi the number on the sidewall isnt what the tire should be run at, thats just the maximum load the tire can handle, and the pressure needed to support that load...

7. gmcjimmy88

They are on a 2500HD. They are also "E" rated tires. The 80 psi is on the sidewall of my new and old tires and my door jambs stickers calls for 80 psi in the rear and 55 in the front. The recommended tire pressure is what I usually go with but the tire only has the 80 psi on it.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

not sure if you are replying to me, or him, or both, but yes, I understand this, and still only run about 35-40 psi in mine, just so they are not so rough going down the road :D :p:

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

yeah, its whatever the door jamb calls for...i use that as a base and adjust from there. 80 just seems real high...idk if thats whats called for then i guess its good:crazy:

10. gmcjimmy88

4Xcrazy: What does your tires recommend on the sidewall? I think by lowering the pressure that would give me more sidewall flex, therefore a better ride. I plan on dropping to about 60 psi and check for any differences. Waiting to contact Falken to get there recommended psi.
    Thanks for all the inputs and advice this is what I was hoping for by posting up here. To get more opinoins than just my own.

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

mine say 50 psi, but as mentioned, i rarely run them at that pressure, especially here in Arizona, with the extreme heat in the summer, and the road surfaces being extremely higher, i really don't need to be adding more pressure in them at highway speeds, which i do alot of.

12. gmcjimmy88

That makes since about the heat and road temps. I will update everyone on what Falken says after I call them Tom. I sent them an email but not sure when they will reply to that. Thanks again for inputs.

13. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

road temp sholdnt affect too much, for every 10* of change theres 1psi differance

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you've never run a heavy duty tire then.

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

and what is the standard temp from which this measurement is started from??

i can't really say there is positive proof, except for all the tire tread laying around the freeways during the summer months, i understand this is mostly due to improper inflation practices, but it would seem the older the tire, the more prone it would be to failure during high speed, high heat situations...

i dunno, the heat affects everything here in Phoenix during the summer, is can't be good for the tires as well.

16. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

Lower tire pressures generate more heat in a tire. Just because its hot you shouldn't run a tire at lower pressure. When you run a tire that calls for 80lbs at 30-40lbs you are wasting fuel because it takes more force to turn the tire.

17. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

all i was getting at is, high speed driving generates heat in a tire as well, and when the ambient temps are runnin close to 120, with 150-180 degree temps on the road surface, things get alittle warm, the air pressure will raise in the tire during these runs, putting them closer to the "normal" running pressures.

18. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I ran 35 or so #s in my 2500HD, been like that since I got the truck. Went to CO twice, CO to TX, NYS to CO towing a car, DC to NYS towing my old 90 RCSB, 2 BBCs, a welder, D60 front, and some other misc stuff and never had a prob. 80 seems high....

19. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

i run 55 front and 80 rear on my 2500 3/4 ton suburban, it's what the door jamb calls for and the ride is fine. Load range E tires call for 80psi, i've seen some that call for 90-100 on them. Just not big tires like 40s or something, different load ratings and different requirements.

20. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've always found my E rated tires ride really stiff when you've got em aired up to 80 PSI, which is the max pressure listed on all my tires.

I typically run mine at 40 PSI, they wear well, and ride nice at that pressure.