Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

excited when things relate to trucks and CK5?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dhcomp, Jan 7, 2006.

1. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok, so i'm a 3rd year studying mechanical engineering at UC Davis.

Every once in a while, while going through lots of tedious readings and assignements, things relate to somethign relevant. And i get really excited.

Like today, im reading my Fluid mechanics book, and they talk about how flowing liquids have significantly reduced pressures, and sometimes this reduced pressure brings the fluid to its boiling point. Then teh light goes off in my head - Vapor Lock!

or when we were talking about how we assume water is incompressible, and a red flag goes off in my head. If water was incompressible, why the hell is it so dreaded in brake and hydrolic situations? Water is very compressible when analyized in these situations.

Anyways, am i the only nut that gets excited when something i learn actually applies to something i care about?

OK, im gonna stop rambling now. have a good weekend everyone!

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I did the same thing In my applied statics class. Comparing strengths of steel etc

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

When they say water is incompressable that is a half truth. Water at the lowest depts of the ocean is compressed by the weight of the water above it. Incompressable by mechanical means is what the actually mean.

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

By mechanical means though, if it was incompressible....you could use it instead of brake fluid. I think they just mean that in the problems we will be analyizing, the effects of the slight compression of the water are negligible.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I feel ya.
    When my son was in Algebra in highschool and we were building speakerboxes, he got to use the formulas he knew in a real world situation. It is just nice when you see a real world fun application for all of the boring stuff.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

thats a big part of learning. or at least i think it is. if you can show shomeone who is learning a subject how they can use it they are more willing to pay attention.

7. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

The reason water wouldn't work in brake lines is because its boiling point is so low and would turn to vapor pretty quick...gas/air in the brake lines is no good.

8. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

I did something worst (EME150B) i got excited about bolted and welded connections... and gears... and i really wanted to do the clutches and brakes section, but we ran out of time...
    so yeah, you're not alone

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Bingo