Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust..2 pipes or 1

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Dirty Dave, May 6, 2002.

1. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to step up to 3 inch exhaust. I was told by one muffler shop not to put duals with a cross over if I plan on installing a turbo. Another shop says duals with a cross over would be fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

If you plan on installing a turbo, you'll have to redo your exhaust system. Instead of one pipe exiting each side of the motor in a N/A setup, you will have the left side exhaust pipe cross-over underneath the engine to the new right hand manifold where the turbo will mount. The exhaust will then leave the turbo through the down-pipe and then back towards the rest of the system. So basically, the whole front half of the exhaust system will be changed.

A turbo has its own cross-over pipe and balances out the system, so a cross-over pipe downstream is pointless. Plus, you'd probably be better off with one large single exhuast system with a turbo instead of a dual setup.

I'm getting ready to turbocharge my '81. I've got 2.5" turning into 3" duals right now. When I install the turbo, I'm going to go with 3.5" to 4" single.

If you don't plan on installing a turbo anytime soon, then go with duals and a crossover.

Casey

3. René

René 1/2 ton status

Sorry, but a crossover doesn’t have advantages with the Diesel. The engine needs also no stagnation pressure like a gasser. Let it breathe out simply with 2.5” or 3” pipes.. With the turbo it may be also 3,5”.