Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust advice for an 87 blazer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, May 16, 2004.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 K5 with a stock 350 TBI, and I know that one of the best performance mods per $ is in exhaust. Since my truck is an 87, it has all of those crappy sensors. If I want to add headers, and pipes back to some flowmaster mufflers or something, what kind of headers would work for all of my sensors, and not break the bank? Please dont just say get some regular headres and cut into them and weld an o2 sensor bung in there because I dont have my welder working right now. Any idea on exhaust, let me know. Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Re: Exhaust for an 87 K5?

If you can afford it, and plan to keep the truck, go with some stainless steel headers and exhaust. I have Hooker long tube hedders and a flow master exhaust. after 5 years, its rusted to !@#!. I like it a lot, gives me good low end power, but...

Anyways, mine came with a O2 bung. Check to see if your state requires a cat. If so, you can put in a hi flow cat.

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Re: Exhaust for an 87 K5?

Where did you get your headers? Thanks.
    -Harrison

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Common, somebody else has to know something....
    -Harrison

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check out the manufacturers websites. Best place for correct info. (at least if it is wrong, you can blame them)

Hedman, Thorley, Hooker probably all have extensive online catalogs. I know Hedman does, and I'd be willing to bet they list exactly what you are looking for. (Only using them as an example because I have theirs and know their site has their full catalog)

I will leave my opinion out of this, you didn't ask, just find the piece you need on the manufacturers web site, then take that number over to summit and jegs and see how much you can get it for. I haven't found anyone cheaper than one of those two for headers. A full $100 less than local on the hedman elites for me.

6. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I used manifold replacement headers from Summit on my 90 stepside I used to have. Worked Great, helped out power wise. They are available with or without a bung for O2, and with or without EGR ports. I had the truck about two years with the headers on it. the headers had surface rust, but still seemed to be in great condition when I sold it.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The problem is hardly anyone makes smog legal headers for 87-91 K5 and Subs. Your choices are Edelbrock TES system, Headman, Thorley Try Ys. Or JBL headers. all cost quite a bit of money.
    I think your best/cheapest bet would be Headman. Just get a set of long tube headers for a K5 with a 02 bung in them. You will then have to build an exhaust system for it.
    Dont know what emission laws you have to geal with. That set up may not be legal in some states.
    Dont get shorty headers for a chev truck the same year as your K5 they will not fit. The trucks are IFS and there are clearance issues and the 02 sensor will hit the frame.

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Right now, my truck does not have to pass emissions, because it is registered in a county in nc that doesnt require it. They plan on requiring emissions in all counties in my state in 2006, but I can always just pay $20 and a friend of mine will pass my truck even if I just have open headers. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    -Harrison

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

THORLEY TRI-Y's. Summit carries them.

10. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I have the smog legal JBA headers in my 87 burb./forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif It's a single exhaust with a hi-flow cat and Flowmaster, and I live in So.CA./forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif It passes smog each time. Works fine.

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    THORLEY TRI-Y's. Summit carries them.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I looked into the tri-y's, and it is my understanding that the tri-y design produces more low end torque than other header designs. Is that true? Thanks.
    -Harrison

12. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

No the thorleys are more a mid range header. for the low end look into a long tube design. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

If you dont have to worry about emissons then get a set of thorleys and jegs sells the exaust pipe kits for header collectors back, you have to buy the mufflers though, i boughts some 2 1/4 flowmasters, it all bolts together super easy and no cats! the muffler shops wouldnt put exaust on mine unless they put a cat in it, i got the jegs kit, flowmasters, and headers for a little over $300