Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust Advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlackK5, Aug 5, 2000.

1. BlackK5

BlackK5 Registered Member

I realize this topic as probably been covered more than once on this board, but here I go anyhow! I still have the stock exhaust on my 87 K5. Am looking to upgrade a bit. Dont want to spend too much money on this, but will probably take it to a shop to have it done. I would like to get a new catalytic converter (original one still one vehicle). First off, what cat do you all recommend and who has the best price? I want to go with a cat back system, preferbly flowmaster muffler. Which flowmaster do you all recommend ( I have been thinking either 40 series or 50 series) If I understand the 40 series is louder than the 50 series. Which do you all run and recommend? Lastly, if I end up buying this system thru mailorder (only if significanly cheaper than my local shop), do you think they will frown if I ask them to install since I did not buy the system thru them? Oh, one more thing. What do you think it should cost me for a new high flow cat and flowmaster catback system (installed). THanks for your advice.

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have a '90K5 Jimmy. I recently had the exact same thoughts about the cat and muffler. After visiting several muffler shops and getting every type of advice available I opted to leave the stock cat in place. I ended up going to Midas(I can hear the laughter now). They installed a 40 Series muffler and then brought the duals out either side behind the wheels at about a 45 degree angle with 3" chrome tips. The $290.00 price includes a lifetime guarantee.
    Most places take a dim view of installing "owner furnished" equipment, and generally won't warranty anything but workmanship. The sound of the Flowmaster is awsome. A very low throaty rumble at low speed and good sound at speed. This was a very worthwhile upgrade with a noticable increase in power. I know it was a little more expensive than what I have heard others have paid, but the lifetime warranty, anywhere in the US was worth a few extra bucks to me.

3. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

Just had a new high flow cat and a magnaflo muffler installed with a chrome tip. 3" pipe from the y all the way back. This set me back 320.00. And was done at a local shop here in Glendale, AZ. You can definently tell the difference in sound and performance. One piece of advice that I can give is that you need to make sure that you are willing to put up with more cab noise.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

40 series is the loudest and then the 50 series is next and the 30 series being the quietest. Now they have the Delta Flow technology units out that quiet in cab noise without sacrificing power on exhaust tone.

If you are going single 3", I would go either 40 series 3 chamber or 2 chamber. The 2 chamber is louder.
    The muffler will be about $60 and the muffler shop would probably charge about $150-$200 to install it wiht their pipe.

As fo rthe Cat, Summit and JEgs both sell high flow aftermarket cats. More than likely you will need to get a universal unit and they usually copst about $80-100. And I cant see the muffler shop charging much more than the $150-$200 price to install the whole system with a new cat, unless they have to custom fab to get the new cat on which I dont see happening.

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com