Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust and advice please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by speed4life, Nov 16, 2006.

1. speed4life

speed4life Registered Member

Hey guys I have a wonderful 88 K5 mint shape late this summer i want to put a full exhaust on it -- header pipes muffler not worried about the cat i live in virginia but what type of combinations have you guys used best bang for the buck

Plus I have the Holley TBI with thier intake manifold new have not place on the truck yet. I am lloking at gaining around a 40 - 60 horsepower buy doing this

But the exhaust is my next upgrade and wouild like your input

Thanks again
    P.S. how do i become a official member let me know

2. 88$PIT

88$PIT Registered Member

Hello speed4life! I also have an 88 K5. The stock exhaust leaves a lot to desire. I plan to put headers on later, but this is what I have done so far. From the ex. manifolds is mandrel bent 2 and a half inch pipe to a Flowmaster Y pipe with 3 in. out all the way back through a high flow cat and Magnaflow muffler. Generally, a sbc under 350 hp does better with a single rather than dual exhaust setup because of its flow and backpressure characteristics. In my case, the improvement was quite impressive. I chose the Magnaflow muffler simply because it flowed well with minimal noise. As far as getting membership status, go to the top of the forums page and look there for directions, I think it will be clear to you. BTW, this is my first post! I joined within the last few months and I think this site is GREAT!! Well worth the $$ to say the least.

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

In VA, they do look for the Catalytic converter, so watch out there... Actually a "good" shop will make sure you have the Y-pipe as set up from the factory. Can be an aftermarket setup, just stock appearing..

I'm sorry, but I think the 40-60 HP is very optimistic on a stock TBI motor. Maybe like 25 tops for the two upgrades IMO.

John

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had the stock Y system with a hi-flow cat and a Borla Sportsman muffler. It was a lovely mellow but deep tone. I REALLY liked it. Unfortunately when I did a load of work on the truck I cut out the cat which made the pipe too noisey for my taste. I now have a Flowmaster Big Block muffler which is quiet enough but I'm not too keen on the sound. It is deep sounding but also has a kind of 'tinnyness' to it.