Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust comes in my back window....cough cough

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eripley, Oct 7, 2003.

1. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

When my back glass is rolled down (I like the airflow) I get choked out by exhaust. My pipes come straight out the back and have straight pencil tips. I was told that tips that point down might help the problem. However , assuming this will fix or help the problem I cant find stainless tips that turn down. Where is a good place to get tips? Searching on ebay yields the bling bling huge motorcycle sounding honda civic tips. I dont want chrome since it rusts when scratched. Also in my opinion exhaust is to be heard not seen /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Theres a sorta "low pressure" area behind the truck and the fumes will be pulled thru the back windows.

In the old days, they use to put these little "airfoils" on the back roof which directed airflow down, over the back window and kept the exhaust out. I have side exiting pipes in the rear (factory) and it does the same. Pep-Boys or Autozone sells turndowns, both plain and chromed. Should also be able to get them at a local muffler shop. Might try it, dont think its going to help too much /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think what you'll hear is that the only way to "cure" this problem is to have the exhaust exit out the side of the vehicle, in approx. the stock location. (behind the tire)

Stock tips were cut in an odd shape. Cut the end of the pipe off flat (call it a 90* angle) then a little less than halfway down, cut back at a 45* angle. I'm guessing this was done to direct the exhaust gas down, as it would lend unnecessary expense if it wasn't some sort of "safety" feature.

Also, a stock rear spoiler (Suburban ones are the same piece and more common) will cut down on exhaust fumes, but will not eliminate them, even from side exit exhaust. Having the front windows down helps, but in slow moving traffic or acceleration, you will still smell it with ALL the things I've mentioned.

4. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

it's called VACUUM /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Depending on conditions I get fumes even with the factory side exit on behind the left rear tire. Its just the way it is. Low pressure and vaccum doin what its supposed to.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'll trade you my truck for your K5. 6.5 or 8 feet of bed between you and those nasty fumes solves it all!