Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust crossover and lift help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Jan 19, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am in the progress of installing 4" springs and a Dana 60 in the front of my K5 and when I disconnected the front driveshaft it had sprung the crossover down so now with the shaft resting on the exhaust and the stock springs at full droop the yoke is about 3 inches lower than the shaft joint. How have you guys corrected this issue. I think it will be closer to 4-5 inches off when I get the lift and new axle in. I would like to not make the exhaust lower and going duals is not an option (Cali smog nazis). Is it possible to run the D-shaft below the exhaust or is their not enough room. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ira

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I think you have to do away with the exhaust crossover and go to true duals.
    -Harrison

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I know it has been done without going true duals. I have seen it I just cant remember where I saw it.

Ira

4. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The only problem I had was the D-L hitting the crossmember and I clearanced that with a grinder. You do not need dual's.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ur having problems with 4" springs????? usually u dont have problems til at least 6". for mine, i cut the y pipe and put about 1" extensions and rewelded it. fixed clearance issues

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Put the crosover behind the transfer case like so:
    [​IMG]

7. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine had that problem too. I cut the center of the crossover out. Then clamped on a flexy pipe and pushed it towards the crossmember out of the way. I am going to get a 2wd Y pipe so it goes over my DS since my Y doesnt fit edlecrap headers.

8. YELL78

YELL78 Registered Member

Mine looks alot like this it is just tucked closer to the t-case and goes right under the yoke into the cross over into single 3"

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I think I have this problem because my exhaust likes to run into rocks:doah: . I also do not want to do the crossover behind the tcase because of smog issues same reason for not going true duals.:D I might try to "clearance" the crossover to allow my Driveline to fit.

Ira

10. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

You could always just leave it. I find the grinding noise of the driveshaft on the crossover to be relaxing. Plus I love how it limits my wheel travel. And the "tick tick tick" of the exhaust leak puts the kids right to sleep.:haha:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm thinking of doing the flex pipe thing. I know it will eventually leak, but it sure beats this.

Al

11. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Just cut it and weld in a extension. If you need I will bring my MIG down your way so it would be cheaper

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Sure what are you doing this weekend? I will be at Roz's putting in the lift and axles tomorrow and Saturday.

Ira

13. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Me and the wife are going to the monster truck show down there on saturday. The plan was to head down there tomorrow and stay the night then to the show on Sat. Not sure how that timeline stands now. I can let you know when i find out.
    I would not have any time to work on your K5 this weekend but if you would like I could drop off the welder....as long as you or ROZ know how to MIG....not that it is difficult.
    If that won't work then we need to make plans and i will drive down and weld it up for you, that drink a few beers.

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Roz has a mig also. It is a little 110 buz box only really power on and wire speed. It works pretty good for small stuff it should work for exhaust pipe. He welded my steering box brace with it. You know I can weld stick just never done mig:o . Time is kinda tight but we can get together at a later date. I might need to borrow your welder to put on some sliders:D .

Ira

15. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

OK then, No problem, check you calander, mine is pretty open....still on leave.

My welder is nothing special either. Small 110Vac MIG, though the wire speed and voltage are infinatly adjustable. Never ran Flux-Core through it. It does require a 20A outlet though. The kind with the goofy cross tilted prong. Either that or I would have to rewire one end of my extension cord.

EDIT: I know mine works well on exhaust. I just finished installing a Flowmaster Super 40 on the wifes Avy for her birthday.

16. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I went to Home Depot today and made myself an adapter, so now I can plug it into a regular outlet....