Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust crossover modification pic request

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jul 18, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

my front shaft is rubbing the stock exhaust crossover.. I have single exhaust.

Who all has modified it and how? Are there any parts store pieces of prebent pipe that I could work with? I've tried prying and it just goes right back into place, and I sure don't wanna rip off the studs on my exhaust manifolds.. I thought of prying and getting somebody to pring an oxyacetaline torch over and getting it nice and orange.. but I would rather not have to fool with that.

I'm almost to the point of running a small piece of angle iron with a hole drilled in it over the top of the pipe, and bolting it to the skid place, to kind of permanently hold my pipe down for me :crazy: Tomorrow I'm gonna battle the exhaust, so pics of how you've modified the exhaust to clear the shaft are very welcome!!! :bow: :bow:

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

heat!!..

You had the right idea about heating the pipe up red--put that may not be possible with torches,depending on its location....

We used to have an electric pipe heater tool that looked like a clamp,that you put over the section of pipe you wanted to bend,and it had a heating element just like an electric stove has on the inside of it..you'd plug it in and wait about 10 minutes,and it would heat the pipe up cherry red,and then you could bend it like taffy!..It dissapeared when I moved!:mad: ..maybe a "custom" muffler shop has one,or something similar you could have them "tweak" your pipe's fit with?...:crazy:

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got an elbow from Autozone for about $3. Cut the pipe shorter than the elbow, spread the pipe a little, insert the elbow and weld it in. You then have that extra inch or so that you need to clear the shaft.

4. 78Suburban

could you snap a pic of it sometime?

diesel4me= that sounds like a tool I need to look for!!

I've used a prybar and BFH, now its clearing by 1", but I dunno if that will be enough

5. 78Suburban

[​IMG]

here's what I've done so far just using a big ol pry bar and BFH