Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust cut off ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 80Jimmy, May 1, 2003.

1. 80Jimmy

80Jimmy Registered Member

I have 12" glass packs. The cops said that I have to have a muffler and a catalytic converter since my blazer is newer than 79. I was curious about the exhaust cut. I saw it on tv i think. It is a valve that when opened your exhaust goes through your catalytic converter and muffler. When you close the valve the exhaust turns off to the side before the converter and out the side and it is basically straight piped. Anybody know of any write ups on this or have any ideas for me. I wanted to get ride of my glass packs and try this setup.

2. alesko

alesko Registered Member

They are made by a company called Dougs. Thats all I know.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

They're called exhaust cutouts. Those fancy electric ones from Dougs that were seen on Trucks TV cost $450 for a pair. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif JC Whitney sells some cable operated ones that are WAY cheaper.

4. alesko

alesko Registered Member

If you would like to make a cheap set of homemade ones,try this. Go to the hardware store and buy a piece of 3 inch black pipe about 6 inches long, threaded on both sides. Also buy 2 threaded caps, 1 for each end of the pipe. Cut the pipe at a 45 degree angle inthe middle. These will be your turnouts. Notch them to fit your pipe, cut pipe, weld in place, and use plendy of antiseize on the threads.
    This is a cheap way out, but you may have to lay on the ground to remove the caps.
    I ran these on a pulling truck for a couple of years and they worked great.