Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust Cut-outs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieRed, Mar 21, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Anybody have these? I'm thinking about making my own somehow- how to they sound when you uncap them? ass good as real straight pipes? or does some of the exhaust still go through the muffler?

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

It depends, most of the time it sounds like open pipes, but sometimes you get some exhuast out the muffler.

I had mine put behind the cats... i wanna be legal ya know /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[​IMG]

3. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

I have actually just seen this in a Car Craft....There is a company that makes cut-outs, but are electronically controlled. Thats right, you heard it correctly...Push a button on the dash (or wherever you'd like to mount it), and Presto! Full exh. to Open exh... I also know of a cable controlled one... As for where the exhaust goes, it all mainly goes out the cut-out. I say mainly because there will be some residual exhaust that flows thru the pipe, but nothing much to worry about. And they do sound like open exh., even if after the cats.

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

my brother bought some from summit and put them on is camaro. he opened them up for drag racing only. it was after the cat....but the cat was gutted and it had to b there for inspection....sounds pretty nice though when they r open

NITRO

5. BowtieRed

i don't have cats! yay!!

(don't tell the EPA)

6. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

I dont' have cats either, and I'm wanting to get some cutouts put about 4 feet from the manifold so I can shutup all those pretty boys at the school parking lot with their 50 series delta flows that think they're the bomb...

7. BowtieRed

they are already shut up by my not cats/ flow 40s- they destroy anything at my school, but straight pipes will eat Harley exhaust! THAT'S WHAT I WANT!

8. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

A co-worker of mine with a 87 chevy just dropped in a new stroker 383, with doug thorley headers, and put the cut outs right after the headers last week...it is loud as heck! i want them now!
    I have also seen a set up on a hot rod where the cut outs where on the headers...right before where they bolt to the block...then from inside the ride he pushed a button and the pipes slid out of the way..it was sweet!

9. FOURFOURMAG

FOURFOURMAG Registered Member

WHO MAKES THE ELECTRONIC AND CABLE CONTROLLED CUTOUTS??

[ QUOTE ]
    I have actually just seen this in a Car Craft....There is a company that makes cut-outs, but are electronically controlled. Thats right, you heard it correctly...Push a button on the dash (or wherever you'd like to mount it), and Presto! Full exh. to Open exh... I also know of a cable controlled one... As for where the exhaust goes, it all mainly goes out the cut-out. I say mainly because there will be some residual exhaust that flows thru the pipe, but nothing much to worry about. And they do sound like open exh., even if after the cats.

[/ QUOTE ]

10. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

They are about 300$ if I remember corectly.

The cable actuated ones are prone to leak exhaust by em and also rust up.

Poor mans cut outs are a threaded nipple and a screwed cap. Scarf the nipple and draw a circil on your pipe, cut just inside the circil and weld em on and then screw your cap on there.

11. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

cost me 90 for 2... installed.

12. Ryan

Ryan Registered Member

13. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They are about 300$ if I remember corectly.

The cable actuated ones are prone to leak exhaust by em and also rust up.

Poor mans cut outs are a threaded nipple and a screwed cap. Scarf the nipple and draw a circil on your pipe, cut just inside the circil and weld em on and then screw your cap on there.

[/ QUOTE ]

True poor mans is to get the neck off of a radiator and use that. Just don't use the caps with the little plastic levers on them /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif