Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust Cutouts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Aug 16, 2006.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

My new '78 Shortbed has brand new 2.5" straight pipes on it that the PO slapped on there...really nice system, all up in the frame rails and stuff, welded. etc.

I believe that it doesn't need cats.

ANYWAY..I'm gonna get some Flowmaster super 40's for it, and it'll be loud. OR I can put some nice mellow mufflers on it and have electric exhaust cutouts behind the headers. Does anyone here run them?

Will offroading and mud affect them?

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I say glasspacks. they are cheap and sound good but thats if you like the noise. Ive been running open headers and love the sound but it gets annoying so Ill be adding glasspacks soon. In my opinion flowmasters are overrated. dont get me wrong, I think they sound good but everyone around here has a set and they all think they are bad a**es just cause they have em. as far as the cutouts, I dont have much experience with them but dont care for them. In my opinion you should either make it loud or quiet depending on what you like more.

3. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

i believe brandonn has them but he hasn't been on in awhile

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Long time ago I had the cast iron ones that had the pull lever on them peices o junk but for a teenager they were cool

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

im going to disagree, take a glass pack and wheel it in the rocks for a year, beat the hell out of it and if your lucky it will still be there, ill show you two 40 series flowmasers, beet on, draged over crap and still working just fine. I would hope most agree for rock crawling and hard wheeling a flowmaster holds it own, seen plenty that look beat to hell but are still working just fine:wink1:

personaly i feel the cheap glass pack cherry bombs are the over rated muffler, as a point my dads step son has one on his 95 beretta..still hanging out below the drivers door...included is the hanger wire holding it and a cherry bomber sticker proudly displayed on both rear windows..:rolleyes:

i could see the cherry bombers being more popular with mudders?

6. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

I have glasspacks on my K5 and dislike the sound alot at high rpms...my dad's K5 on the other hand has Flowmasters [i never checked the series]...They're not all that loud but have a very powerful sound. This only makes me more excited to hear the Super 40's.

Going from straight pipes to adding mufflers i'm going to be hard to impress though.

7. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I had straight pipes. I now have the biggest, quitest, stock muffler I could find. I love it. :D

8. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

My brother's M-37 has dynomax straight through mufflers and quicktime performance electric cutouts(dual 3-1/2" exhaust). It sounds pretty good with the cutouts closed...and it sounds REAL GOOD with them open, but then again his motor is making about 650hp so I think that has something to do with it.:D

9. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run the Cherry Bombs, but with the exhaust all the way to the rear. Pretty quiet untill ya wind it out. :D

10. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

I totally agree, but this mudder likes Flows!!!

11. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i run the super 40s and they are not that loud, actually to me they seem quiter than the regular 40 series, just more agressive sounding...

i'm running dual 3 inch pipes, by the way

12. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

well Im not dissing the flowmasters cause I do like the sound, I just like the glasspacks better, mostly cause they're cheap and like I said, everyone around here has the flows and I like to be different. most of my wheeling has been done without mufflers cause I have none, so I have no real experience with bashing them.

13. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

The super 40's are almost exactly the same except closer tolerances made to give you a more exact tuned length which they claim if you get it right it will net you more power over the flowmaster regular 40 series.

I don't know if the sound is different.

Having a welded flow 40 myself I don't think they make a better sounding street legal muffler. Glasspacks are just too raspy up top for me. And nothing beats the deep growl especially at idle of a flow.

14. 1BEATK5

1BEATK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

actually the super 40 has 3 v shaped baffles in them like the 40s delta flow muffler does. so they are a bit quieter than the original flows. the real difference is the 5" thick case, instead of the 4". i have "the originalflows" on my k5 and they are 8 years old and sound great above 3000rpm.
    i have super 40s on my f250 with an x pipe and it sounds like a really nasty late model mustang.
    Flows every time. no packs.

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The hard part is finding a cutout for pipe over 2". I'm also pretty sure that unless it is stainless steel it will be frozen up before very long.

If you ever want quiet mufflers, the cutouts may not seal very well and could make some annoying noises.

What I would do is add a Y on each side, on branch going to the exhaust system that's already there and the other side ending in a cap. The cap and it's housing should be made of good stainless, including wing nuts. Just take the caps off when you want the huge noise. Not as convenient as a button or lever inside the cab, but much more reliable.

That being said, I've always wanted a cutout right after the header that dumps to the side. Then when a super loud Harley is blipping the throttle at the light (why is this legal anyway?), you give him an earful of 8 cylinders at 4000rpm!

16. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got a super 40 on mine, single 3" all the way with no cat. it sounds really good minus my bad exhuast leak in the y-pipe.

17. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Quicktime performance makes electric cutouts in a lot of sizes. I think they go all the way up to 4"