Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust Dillema (long post)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny reb, Jun 6, 2000.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

I know this subject has been beat to death, but I need some suggestions. I have an 86 K5 w/305. I want to put dual exhausts on it. I can't decide whether to go with glass packs or 2 chamber Flowmasters. I want the sound of glass packs but I want the increased performance of the Flowmasters. I live in an emissions state (VA) so I have to keep the cats. I'm going with high flow cats, but I'm afraid that they will restrict the sound of the Flowmasters. I want that nice loud rumble. Any suggestions?

2. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Replacing the one stock cat with two cats on a dual system is not legal. I did it on my 85 and it passed visual inspection,, but it shouldn't have.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Don't know about the 2 cat thing, but as for sound, I have never liked the sound of a glasspack. Too splaty. The 40 series Flowmaster has a nice deep rumble too it, but not annoying. If anything, it sounds like a REALLY worn out turbo. Then you lay into it, and it really starts to growl. I'm running a full 3" single exhaust from the Y pipe back, and really like the sound of the Flowmaster. Beats the hell out of a glasspack anyday IMHO. Don't worry about a glasspack taking away performance. They free up the exhaust real well too, and you can always blow the packing out later to get a bigger sound.

Like I said though, I like the mellow rumble not the splatty sound.
    The choice is yours, what do you want it to sound like?

Kyle
    89K5

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I really don't like glasspacks. They seem to sound okay when new, but it seems as if they get a higher pitched "ratty" sound after a year or two and are worn out. The flowmasters tend to keep a more consistent sound and will last a long time. I have also read some information that glasspacks don't flow much, if any, better than a stock muffler due to the turbulence when the exhaust gets tossed around the packing.

5. johnny reb

I checked with the VA emissions station and they said that as long as all the emissions components are in place, you can install dual exhausts with dual cats. Anybody from VA have any more info?

6. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

Hey, Johnny reb. I'm from Richmond, VA. Where are you located? Anyway my '89 came stock with one cat. I just had my exhaust redone about a year ago and was thinking of doing what you are thinking about. I was told by several people, including the man at the shop that did my pipework, that if your vehicle came stock with only one cat it needs to stay that way. So I have my Flowmaster 40 series muffler directly behind my cat with duals coming off the muffler out of each side behind the back tires. The Flowmaster sounds great. The new exhaust has about 20,000 miles on it and I have no complaints about odd sounds or change in the sound!!

Chevy's RULE!

7. johnny reb

I live in Falls Church, VA just outside of DC. I have a buddy in PA that is going to install the exhaust for me. Everywhere I checked around here was too expensive.

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Where in PA are you having your exhaust done? I'm in the Phila. area and in the market for a new system. Does your friend install what you give him, or does he have/get the parts? Mandrel bent? If he's in my area, I'd love to give him some business. Thanks!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

9. johnny reb

The shop I'm having it done at is just outside of Pittsburgh. I'm providing the mufflers and cats and he's hanging it all up for me.

10. johnny reb

I just got off the phone with an officer from the VA Dept. of Environmental Resources. They oversee the emissions testing in VA. Basically he said that the "FEDERAL" law does not allow tampering with original emissions equipment. In VA, you don't have to take your vehicle to a state inspection facility, you can take it to any old hole in the wall garage that is licensed to do emissions tests. He did not tell me that a vehicle with dual exhausts would pass the test, but he also would not tell me if dual exhausts count for an automatic failure of the test. I've seen many trucks around here that appear to have dual exhausts but have never climbed under one to see if they have "true dual exhausts." The guy said that most often, the inspection stations will not get involved with the intricacies of the "FEDERAL" law, which I took to mean that some inspection stations will pass a vehicle with a dual exhaust system. I don't understand why they are so damn picky about this. If you have two cats what difference does it make?

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am about 45mins north of Pittsburgh. My girlfriend went to Washington and Jefferson in Washington, PA. I was in Washington just about everyweekend for that past 2 years.

I am not far from you guys!

Mike
    <a href="http://emmett.coloradok5.com">1982 GMC Jimmy - Emmett</a>

12. johnny reb

Well, I grew up in Monaca, PA which is about 30 mins. north of Pittsburgh. I went to Mercyhurst College in Erie, PA and moved to Washington DC about 3 years ago to grad school at American University. I hope to move back to the 'Burgh in a couple years. All of my wheelin' friends are still there and there is no where to go off road around here. Where are you from Emmettollogy?

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I live in the Hermitage, PA area. Wheelin areas here are few and far between, but we like to go up to the Tionesta area and go wheelin, although the trails/roads there are getting closed.

i may be moving to Coloumbus, OH in the near future, but I will be back in this area to settle down.

Mike
    <a href="http://emmett.coloradok5.com">1982 GMC Jimmy - Emmett</a>

14. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    The Emmision systems on 81 and up vheicles are engineered as a system, not by the piece part, therefore
    if is very easiy to generate more "BAD AIR" by using two cats, vs. one.
    Also just curious when was the last time you heard of someone being fined under Federal Law ?
    Look up the definition of Tampering !
    Good luck

P.S. big brother is watching you

15. johnny reb

Of course I know that Big Brother is watching. What I'm saying however, is that it is rare for a state inspection station to fine someone for something that violates a federal law. They are much more likely to fail the vehicle rather than go through the bureaucracy to issue a citation for tampering under the federal law. All I'm concerned with is that my truck passes the state emissions test. After that, if I ever get pulled over by Johnny Law and he wants to climb under my truck and fine me for tampering that's a risk I'm willing to take.

16. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

I had a 1979 CJ7 that I put a 360ci into and at the time I worked at a Chevy dealer and I went over their books for that year Jeep and found out everything that is "required" for it to pass. The guy who did the test agreed that he has no idea weather or not my Jeep came stock with duels or not so as long as it has the two cats and two mufflers it would pass. Several shop did tell me that they wouldn't cut my exhaust to put duels on. I put headers on it that bolted to the cat and them into a Turbo muffler. It did have the air injection and smog pump and never failed their test. This was Colorado. You might want to ask them if that year Blazer came with duel exhaust. I'm sure that it didn't but do they know that? Just a thought.

Getsome

17. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Dude, tell the man it came from the factory with a towing package or that you just bought the truck and that was how it was bought.... or maybe just act dumb...

BBone 85'K5
    Wilderness Roof Rack in the winter, Skyler in the summer...

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Saying "I bought it that way" DOES NOT WORK in court! A month after I bought my Blazer, I got pulled over for counterfeit insp. and emiss. stickers. Cop confiscated them; showed me mine vs. his on his cruiser because I couldn't tell just by looking. I'll never know how he saw that from the opposite direction with both of us doing 45-50. Pleaded not giulty, paid $160 for the fine as collateral, went to court and got beat down! Judge didn't care that the stickers were good for 8 more months, he said it's THE OWNER'S RESPONSIBILITY TO KNOW AND FIND OUT. When I tried to tell him I wasn't trained to spot counterfeits, he cut me off and reminded me AGAIN that it's the owner's responsibility to know and find out. Bottom line: I lost. Trying to plead innocence won't work unless you know the judge/cop/inspector.

Just my 2 cents...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I had a friend who got pulled over for a tail light and ended up getting busted for emissions and too many off-road lights. But he was also a being a jerk to the pig..er..police officer.

Does anybody run Borlas?

http://www.blazer.coloradok5.com is now under construction[​IMG]
    YEEEE HAWWWW[​IMG]

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got a pair of Borla Hemi Mufflers on the ThunderTruck(tm). They're about 12 years old and still look like new. They're kinda loud if you don't have cats ahead of them. You can look straight through the muffler, so I guess that's to be expected. [​IMG]

They're not cheap. I paid about $104 each back in '88.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com