Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust donut flanges....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Oct 16, 2006.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I can't seem to find where I can order some exhaust flanges that utilize donuts instead of just a sandwiched gasket. I want to make my exhaust removable in sections to remove the tranny/tcase instead of one whole unit.

Anybody have any links? My pipes are 2¼" and 3"

Thank

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

another place to leak??..

I'd use a ball/socket style flange setup pipes,like a catalitic converter has..those are available at better parts stores,or some places that bend pipes can form them out of straight pipes(they can likely do "doughnut" flanges on the machine as well...but doghnuts will erode and leak,they always did on stock exhaust manifolds..why add more?..:confused:

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Maybe ball socket is what I meant. I felt that they would seal better as opposed to a 3-bolt flange.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Either it uses donuts, (EFE manifold to exhaust pipe), flat flange (headers), or ball/socket. (cat converter, good headers)

You can buy the ball/socket pieces separate, but last I looked summitracing.com for example, sold them for $40/set.

Diesel is right, the donut pieces are prone to failure, metal on metal is the best setup. GM used ball/socket wherever they could.

5. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

if im thinking correctly...ur talking about the flanges where theres 2 bolts...sometimes the bolts have springs on them to keep tight....on newer cars/trucks.i work in a napa warehouse...theres some there, if u find the right napa guy, that knows his ass from his elbow then he can help u.

6. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yep ball and socket is what I'm looking for.

7. diesel4me

they sell them...

We used to stock those ball and socket pipes in MSA brand,made locally here in New Bedford Ma.."Perfection" used to list them too--the companies that sell alll those muffler adapter sleeves usually have the ball and socket pipes available,but most stores have to special order them..they also sell "Y" fittings to make "Y" pipes too..

One way I got those ball/socket pipes, was to order an "Installation kit" for an aftermarket catalitic converter--they give you the ball and socket pipes,bent like the originals..(many folks used them with straight pipe to ditch the converter!--but you didn't hear it from me:whistle: )...

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

SPD Exhaust sells these flanges. Not cheap at about $75 for a 3" complete kit, but they don't leak and they come apart nicely.

9. diesel4me

yeah..

We sold similar ones for big rigs(18 Wheelers)..they are available in some brands like Walker,etc..none are cheap,but I do believe I could buy them where I used to work for less than 75 bucks a pop!..they had stainless steel "band clamps" for exhaust pipes also,they work great,and are handy for sealing a pipe with one rusted spot for awhile,until it can be replaced..they make them all the way up to 6"!..:eek1:

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Yea, the 5" Walker parts I bought for work's Dyno Room were ~$20 for the tube adapter and ~$20 for the V-Band Clamp. The problem is that there is no mating part available that I know of. Can get the clamp & the flared tube, but can't get the matching part as they are usually part of the turbo or exhaust manifold. We had to make ours, and that cost a lot more than the smaller parts.
    The reason the smaller stuff is more spendy is that fewer people make or use them. Economies of scale.