Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust exits

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoSmog73, Oct 24, 2001.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

to help cut down on the fumes should I have the tips of the exhaust go out to the side (behind the rear tires) or point to the ground above the rear axles any thought tips would be helpfull thanks.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My dual exhaust exit behind the rear tires. I drive with the rear window down a least a couple of inches 95% of the time. I have never had a problem with fumes yet.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Generally, your best bet is out the sides. Out the back (or pointed down, same thing I think) the exhaust gets pulled into the low pressure area behind your mobile brick (i.e. K5) and will often come inside with you (unless you have a better seal back there than 90% of them).

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. BadDog

Really? Do you have the front windows cracked at the same time? That would create a draft through and help keep it from coming in. My '75 came inside at times even with the window completely up (bad seals and not enough interest in replacing them) until the pipes got mashed. After cutting them off back near the axle I had them rerouted out the side, no more exhaust for me.

Russ

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

To cut down on internal fumes, definitely out the side. Truck doesn't have enough ventilation undernath when sitting to properly evacuate the fumes. Chances for Carbon Monoxide poisoning too great for me.

Personally, if I can see the pipes, I like them routed and the tips cut just like GM did on these, with that "half 45 degree" angle tip. (and single pipe on either side, makes it easier to route as well)Take a pipe end, then halfway down, cut a 45 into it. Looks great, especially true duals like that.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

6. Hossbaby50

During the summer I run with the side windows down (no A/C), but often during the spring and fall I run the side windows up and the rear window down a couple of inches. Also on the highway I run the rear down and sides up. Never had a problem yet.

7. Hossbaby50

That's the way I have my exhaust done. With the 45 degree tip. I think it looks good. The only reason I don't like it is it loads up with mud. During elk season when I'm running lots of mud I have to get out every 2 miles or so and kick the mud off my tips so my engine will run right. Had that problem with the stock exhaust too.

8. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

thank you to the side it is..2 of my friends just had it go to the axles and I thought it was kind of asking for it but to each his own right.

9. BadDog

Oh, sorry Hoss, I misread. I thought you said you had it out the back with no problem. We were saying the same thing. Ok, first thing on my "to do" list, learn to READ! LOL! [​IMG]

Russ

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I like mine out the side anyway, it echos off things, like the drive thru and under bridges.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles