Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust Flamethrower Kit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5freak44, Oct 27, 2004.

1. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Do these kits work real well with k5s? I have headers, true dules, and 2 cats that dont work very well. I wana shoot out some big flames so i can show off around a bunch of ppl and to scare away all the little ricers.

Any one tried a kit that dosent use a additional gas? Thats what im looking for.

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have seen flamethrowers, but never seen anyone that bought a kit for it... mostly just homemade stuff...

Do those meet USFS Spark Arrestor Standards??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

how big of a flame they put off?

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have seen people build them w/ a manual choke and a spark plug in the exhaust pipe w/ a hotwire... They shoot quite a ways.
    Our old Bronco w/ a 351M and all the smog stuff taken off, but w/ the air pump still hooked up would shoot them about 15' just by jumping on the gas for a few seconds and then letting off...

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

This is the way I have seen them also, with the spark plugs in the tips and coils to spark them.

How do you operate it? Where does the manual choke come in? When should the spark be on/off? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

That's the way to win friends at the local police department and represent off-roading in a positive light /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

This sounds like a question I would ask.

Well, if you can find a legal kit in the USA good for you.
    If you can find a sneaky kit from outside the country, good luck to you.

Me? I would just have someone dump a bunch of gas out the back and light it on fire... /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

8. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i saw a kit on a car show that would drop a cylinder from firing and spark the one in the tailpipe. it only works if you have no cats and a straight through exhaust. i want to say that there are some propane numbers out there that you could rig up. or just run zoomies out the hood. then you can see the flames too. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That's the way to win friends at the local police department and represent off-roading in a positive light /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo..........................

Not to mention, "show off" and "scare the ricers." Questions like these are just plain stupid and should be left at the Type R shop.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My friend has a flamthrower he built in his cutlass.He simply took the breaker plate from an old points style distributor and bolted it to a power window motor,using its drive gear as the "cam" for the points--then hooked an HEI coil to it for the spark(he used an externally mounted one,like some six cylinder's used)--and he welded some spark plug "non foulers"into his tailpipes to hold the sparkplugs.He hid the coil and homemade distributor in his trunk,and spliced 2 plug wires together to fire the plugs.
    He can get flames about 10 feet long fairly easy--rev it up a few times in quick succession,and hit the switch while the rpm's are coming down,and WHOOF!--it looks like a jet engine during takeoff!--and yes--the cops hate it with a passion!--he made the mistake of firing it off when a cruiser was behing him one night,and he decided to make that "tailgater"back off some--then the blue light came on,and he was /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif--they gave him a "fix it" ticket,and warned him if they caught him using it on the street again,his licence plates would be removed and the car towed away.He only uses them at car shows mostly now!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    I'd love to run those "zoomies"right thru the hood,like the truck pullers use--that would be cool seeing flames in front of you going down the road--might be handy to de-frost the windsheild in the winter! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

ive found some kits that claim to work online. im just afraid to waste 60 bux on something that will shoot out lil puny flames.

12. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Give me the $60 and I'll buy a bottle of everclear and a lighter for you. get a mouthful of everclear and spit it out over the lighter. Same effect, just as dumb and just as dangerous to you as a flame thrower kit is to your engine and catalytic converter.

Honestly you can do whatever you want, but if you are tyring to intimidate Ricers you are only asking for a fight, plus invite the law to come check you out too.

There are better things to do with your time. Besides what it takes to do it right is darn near impossible to do with fuel injection. Overfueling and cutting the ignition to load the exhaust with raw fuel is going against what all computer controls do. Besides raw fuel in a converter is a good way to kill it.

In my opinion, flamethrower kits are ok on a '49/'50 leadsled Merc or other Kustom's from the same era and are otherwise pointless on anything else. At least the folks that own/build those rides are mature enough to know when not to use them and when they do it's done responsibly to show off, not intimidate.

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Im gonna have to agree with ya on this one /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

im putting a flamethrower kit on the hotrod truck im building. its no 50 merc, but it'll be somewhat kustom.
    what i've learned is:

1, they dont work w/ cats
    2, you need a carb'd motor
    3,works best with a manual choke carb.

if i was you i'd just take them off.

15. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    im just afraid to waste 60 bux on something that will shoot out lil puny flames.

[/ QUOTE ] $60???? hmmm lets see, that could buy a set of zero rate add-a-leaves from ORD or a pair of offroad lights or a shift kit for your tranny or a lot of other USEFUL stuff....

lol im just kiddin man its your money do with it what you like.

16. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There's a guy on FuelSlut that does/did make various kinds of flamethrower kits. If you decide to head on over there tell them wrath sent you.

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not advocating the flamethrower idea (even though they aren't my cup of tea) I don't see why you need a carb.

Valves are still opening and closing, piston is still sucking and pushing, if you drop a cylinder on a true dual setup, with the O2 sensor being on the OPPOSITE bank, then the ECM won't know what's happening on the other side of the motor.

18. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

hey those cars in 2fast 2 furious had flaming exhaust, it was pimp tite yo /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

i can just see the new 3fast 3 furious, the ricer kids and their redneck cousin in his flame spewing K5. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not advocating the flamethrower idea (even though they aren't my cup of tea) I don't see why you need a carb.

Valves are still opening and closing, piston is still sucking and pushing, if you drop a cylinder on a true dual setup, with the O2 sensor being on the OPPOSITE bank, then the ECM won't know what's happening on the other side of the motor.

[/ QUOTE ]

so your saying to cut spark to one cylinder and thats supposed to get enough raw fuel to the flamethrower?

maybe you dont have to have a carb, but it sure is alot easier to achieve a good result. all you have to do is cut spark at high rpm, simultaniously stomping on the gas and the motor will suck a bunch of raw fuel thru. how do you achieve that with fuel inj.?

20. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

my 42 pontiac would shoot 6' flames with ease