Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust for an 87 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scott87, Mar 24, 2001.

1. scott87

scott87 Registered Member

I wanted to put on a new exhaust for my 87 K5, 350 TBI. Interested in a true dual exhaust. Has anyone done that with an 87 or later K5? What did you do? Any thoughts about a system that keeps the cat converter or one without (in my county there isn't any emissions testing, yet...)? Don't want to spend a fortune, probably around $300 or so.

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Scott if you go to a local muffler shop that specializes in custom setups they can help you out. Normaly they will run a 2.25" system with whatever bells and whistles you want. I have an '88 that has a balance pipe and cats. I am getting an new system installed this year as well. Salt water kiled my system. The price normally drops considerably when you supply the parts needed. Some shops get $75 for one 40 series flowmaster. You can pick them up at Jegs or Summit for $59. J.C. Whitney has stainless tubing and normal steel tubing for exhaust in 7ft. lengths. You should go with aluminized tube or stainless to minimize rusting. Again, like I said, this is up you and your wallet to figure out. A lot of the guys on this board are in CO so they should be able to point you in the direction of a competent shop.

[​IMG]

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Does anyway have any diagrams of their exhaust? I'm interested where everyone has the exits, in front of the rear tires, behind them, or out of the rearend?

"Liberals ain't mean, they just don't have any common sense!"

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah. I think the exhaust that exits from the rear is really a neat look. At least I thought this at first. I like to run with the rear window down a lot or the top off. With this kinda setup you will be sucking in your hot exhaust. So I am getting my new set up with the pipes going out the sides in front of the tires. I am using two high-flo catcos 11.5" in front of the flowmasters. Just wanted to give you a heads up on these kinda setups.

[​IMG]

5. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

On my 87 I have hooker competition headers connected to 2 inch pipes with flowmaster performance cats. The O2 sensor is connected to the left header at the point where the four seperate pipes come together. It works great. The pipes exit to each side of the truck just behind the rear wheels, I don't taste any exhaust when driving with my rear window down.[​IMG]

'87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

6. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

ok did this today we lifted a 91 burban 6 inches and my friend said all i need is an exhaust and what do i do i cut his mufler off with pipe and everything leaving just leaving the cat man wish you could hear it sounds like a mix between a flowmaster and a borla sounds bad ass try it what do have to loose

NOT ALL HISPANICS DRIVE LOW RIDERS :-)

7. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I heard that if you just take off the muffler and leave the cat, it sounds pretty good. But I'm not big on leaving out components for things like inspection here in Jersey. I'm thinking about getting a 3" single exaust myself. I heard that a 3" single acts the same as a dual 2 1/4" if done right. I can't afford 2 mufflers and 2 cats on my new truck. Figure that this would be the best for my money.
    Speaking of missing mufflers, I had a friend whose muffler rotted out on him. His little Chevy Celebrity was loud as heck. I could hear it coming down the block! I was waiting for the neighbors to call the cops when he would leave around 1 or 2 am. It was louder than my friend's K-5 with a dual and flowmasters. Kinda scary really. Anyway, I'd suggest just going to a local exaust place and getting a custom one bent. My friend did that and it works great. Just my opinion.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://billybob.coloradok5.com>http://billybob.coloradok5.com</A>
    If it ain't leaking oil, it ain't my truck![​IMG]