Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust fumes gettin to me

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIGBIRD, Apr 17, 2002.

1. BIGBIRD

BIGBIRD Registered Member

have a 6" lift on a '75 with flowmaster exhaust that exits dead even with rear bumper. Open any window and you get gassed. Engine not running clean (running righ and timing has no effect), but at 60 mph you ought to be able to get away from it. Is the 6" lift the problem. Has anyone else had this problem ?

2. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

My truck did the same thing after running dual pipes out the back on each side of factory hitch. GM must have had this in mind when they ran the pipes out the side. I'm thinking fumes is going under rear door seal , mine is worse when any windows is down. I might try one of those rear deflector things that is supposed to keep rear window clean, maybe that will change airflow?

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any pics of their dual exhaust. I do not want them in the rear beacuse they get smashed. Behind the tire wont work with the shackle flip. I am thinking of going out in front of the rear wheel if I can get them somewhere they aren't going to get smashed. I can almost fit them into the fenderwheels since I have a 3" body lift. Thought I might cut a hole infront of the rear fender and run them out the side of the truck or something different.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The only real fix for this is to get the tailpipes run out the side of the truck. I was warned not to run my dual exhaust out the back because of this very problem. Your truck leaves a nice dead air space back there, and the exhaust sits in it, and flows into the cab.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Hey, I resemble this remark.../forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

Good topic, I was just thinking of this today. My truck has the factory style single exhaust coming out behind the drivers rear wheel and I was getting gassed today with the rear window open. If I get my dual exhaust made to exit in front of the rear wheels on each side will this solve that problem? My truck has running boards (my wife and son need them to get in/out) so its gonna get tricky. Maybe I could point them down to clear. I dont know - just rambling.

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

All I can tell you is what works for me. I have a 79 K10 with 8" of lift and 44's. My exaust is headers to 1chamber flowmasters with turndows (about 45deg down and 45deg out) right before my rear end. I have not had any "gassing" problems on the road or on the trail.

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have the same problem. What causes it is driving down the road you create a vacume behind you so the gasses go right back into the window. I had to run mine out the back when I did the flip but after the new rear springs go on with the 9012's I will have it moved to come out the side.

9. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I have dual exhaust exiting out both sides right before the rear bumper (this way a shakle flip sill still work if I do so) Even thought the pipes stick out the side I still get exhaust smell in the back window. I think it's better than straight out the back (shop I had it done at says they stay away from that on broncos and blazers). I think you should expect some exhaust to come in no matter where the pipes dump.

10. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I think I am just going to go full out redneck (since I am one)

Does anyone know where I can get some upwards headers that will just go through the top of the hood and I can call it good.

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

on my truck (yeh its not a blazer) i ran mine out on both sides, in front of the rear wheel if u look at the pics of my truck, (lift pic) you can see my stainless tips running, will take some better pics of exhaust later, dual cats, dual 50 series flowmasters, and 2.5" pipe in front of the rear wheels sounds pretty good, and i dont have any probs with fumes.

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

This is a common problem on blazers. You can do 2 things. Either run the exhaust out in front of the rear tires, (which ia bit louder than some like it) or you can dump them right at the back axel angled towards the tires. That way when the exhaust exits it gets dissipated by the air turbulence caused by the rear tires. Anywhere else, and it'll find a way into the cab.

13. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I swear most of my gas smell was coming from the rotted rear floor !!!

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

With the top on and the exhuast exiting under the rear bumper I would suck fumes bad. with the top off I don't notice it at all. I was thinking of running my exhuast out behind the front tire, mufflers between the door/floor and frame but protected by sliders and exit the exhaust before the rear tire out the side. It frees up a ton of room under the truck which is great if you want to get tricky with the suspension.

15. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Now, that's almost as bad as mine LMAO!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

Has anyone tried those air deflector things that mounts on roof and helps to keep rear window clean by making air flow blow down window rather than letting a vacuum pocket suck dust on back window? Would this stop the problem of fumes getting sucked behind truck also?

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Supposedly yes. My last blazer had one on it and it wasn't as bad, but I could still get gassed going down the road. It was a '79 with single 3" exhaust that came out right in back of the rear tire. I would like to find an aftermarket one to fit my '74 if they make such a beast.

18. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I had an air deflector on the back of mine and all it did was pile dust onto the back of the vehicle while driving down dirt roads. I took it off for better access to my roof rack and found that the back window stayed clear.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

K20,

No matter what you do, on a truck, you'll never breathe fumes. The bed is breathing fumes, but nobody's back there to complain!!

20. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Supposedly tips at 45* angles will fix this I have them and still get the gas in the back at low speeds. I can only open the rear window once above 50mph anything lower and the turbulence drags the smell into the cab. I also wonder if the spoiler will help. If you ever look in a flowmaster catalog it shows the windflow behind a suv and strongly recomends against pipes straight out the back on any truck or SUV. The air flow loops right over the tailgate and into the bed. Also if you can leave exhaust marks on trailers you might pull.