Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust Fumes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Indyblazer, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Indyblazer

Indyblazer Registered Member

I get lots of exhaust fumes inside my 84 K5 when I am parked with the windows rolled up. I notice the fumes as soon as I park the truck with the engine is idling. I don't notice any exhaust odor when the truck is moving.

No rust holes anywhere... Southern Truck. 8 month old exhaust system from the engine back. Plus, I had the mechanic re-check for leaks this week.

Could the fumes be coming in around the tailgate? The stock tailgate gasket looks OK. The new exhaust turns out to the sides like the original stock system.

Any other places to check that you could recommend?

2. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

hummm,
    this is probably irrelivant but does your truck have any blow-bye, if so than it could be getting sucked in through the vent for the heaterbox, OR your rear window and, or tailgate gasket is letting it in, im also stumped but thats a start....

LUKE

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Have you got an intact rubber weatherstrip across the bottom of the tailgate and up both sides of the tailgate?

4. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

Ive had a slight collector leak and the fumes would rise up through the T-case shifter hole in the tranny hump and come into the cab that way.

5. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Me too. I would definately check that out.

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Did or do you have a spare tire mount on the inside of your k-5? Are all the bolts in? II had to reinstall the bolts in mine for the same reson..