Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust fumes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bambamtama, Nov 18, 2003.

1. bambamtama

bambamtama Registered Member

Pee youooo! Smelly fumes from the back. How do yall' have your exhaust pointing? Coming out straight to the back, the side, snorkle? I've just goten my blazer back from the shop, with a new 383 stroker put in it. the carb is an Edlebrock 650. Are my jets to big? Is that why my fumes are HARSH? the exhaust fumes are not black or any thing, but the fumes (smell) is seeping through the backtailgate and smells bad outside the vehical.
    Last year I was in Albuqueraue,NM and saw a blazer lifted and all and drove right downtown with no loud exhaust nor smell...what is that guy running? I want to get that way...not too loud and not too smelly.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Brand new Edelbrock carb? if so which one? I am running a brand new Edelbrock 650 Thunder AVS carb and its the first carb I have on my blazer where the exhaust actually smells like exhaust and not horrible stinky stuff. Right out of the box my Carb is setup perfect for my 355.

3. bambamtama

no it's rebuilt. So ya think my carb needs overhauling and a set of new mufflers?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

mufflers no, carb could use an overhaul maybe. I know I had 3 carbs on the blazer before my new edelbrock and they all worked but they smelled bad like you are saying and the new one is the first that smells good /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. bambamtama

so re-building...do I just need to try this and that for my carb; changing out the jets, rods...what size jets would yall' recommend? 383 stroker /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sorry I can't help there, not much for carb jetting on automobiles, thats why I bought my Edelbrock wanted a carb that would be good right out of the box.

7. bambamtama

Right, right...hmmm. But thanks for your input. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

always like to help, like said in the other post, don't let one bad experience ruin this place we all try to help when we can, and don't be afraid to ask a question even if it seems dumb only one way to get the answers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

do you still have the book that came with the carb ??? if so theres a table in there that will help you to find the correct setup for your engine/alltitude you could try edelbrocks website as well /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif welcome to the site get some pics on webshots (our better yet get a membership here) and post some pics of your rig /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. bambamtama

I'm definately getting membership! I'll thrown in a pic or 2 tomorrow. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Cool I love looking at peoples rigs

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have to close my eyes and hold my breath when I hook up a trailer because my eyes will burn and water when next to the exhaust. Yes, you have that raw fume "ora" around your truck, it's just part of having no cats and carburation.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I've had the crap smell for a while but the new carb is no cats and carb and smells good in my book(after growing up with exhaust fumes and cars). Smells like a little raw fuel but just the right amount. I think my old carbs all ran lean and that somehow caused the bad smells.

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I think my old carbs all ran lean and that somehow caused the bad smells.

[/ QUOTE ]I have a performer edel. Q-jet that is calibrated for a 350 and it is probably a little lean for my 406. You think a lean mixture makes the smell worse?

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I got the Edelbrock Q-Jet #1904 and it works like a charm right out of the box. Just had it tuned and off I went. And that was about 4 years ago. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dunno maybe its me but i love that stinky exhuast my truck makes.. nothing like a loud noisy smelly small block /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif