Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust gases killing my family

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mostwanted, May 30, 2006.

1. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

Where my exhaust currently is routed, the fumes seem to come in the rear window. Eventually I plan to go to a soft top. Where should the exit of the exhaust be located?

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i have ridden in 5 different blazers all with different exhaust. and the way mine is now(dumps before the rear axle) seems to let the let exhaust in the rear window
    however, i am pretty sure you will always get some exhaust in through the rear window
    one thing you might look into is the spoiler that came on some of the trucks, this might help a little bit.

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

All i have been in sucks it through the rear window. Its just the suction of the air rolling back into the cab. one thought is maybe an exhaust that exits to the sides infront of the rear tires. But it may still do the same.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

At an angle behind the tires works good on my truck...and mine is a diesel so there'd be no question if it was sucking exhaust fumes into the truck.

Rene

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i say out the side for 2 reasons. # more air movment away from rig. and most important is loud to the stupid drivers you pass. :D

6. mostwanted

I remember seeing in 4wheeler mag several years ago exhaust dumping into the rear wheel well. Could the turbulance pull the fumes away?

7. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

It would while you're driving. But most in-cab exhaust leaks/problems are more noticable sitting at stop lights and what not. When I get mine done, I'm going to have them at an angle out the back.

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Mine exit down in front of the rear tires and I don't get exhaust thru the back window but through my driver and passenger front windows. Not fun.

9. mostwanted

I currently have mine at a angle out the back.

10. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

Mine's currently cut off right behind the muffler, directly underneath my rear seat. Fumigates everyone in the back...:p: It's pretty bad right now. Oh well. I'm going to run it out so it exits to the sides in front of the tires.

11. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

my exhaust exits behinds both wheels and when im going whatever speed im still smelling it with all windows down sunroof up and vent window open...with the soft top on now and the sides rolled up i dont get any in

12. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Depending on how they're angled out the back, your rear leaf springs may hit the pipes. I had mine done like that but when I drive over stuff or hit a pot hole in the road I can hear them hit. Just something to keep in mind.

13. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know straight out the back totally sucks. I even had them turned down. the exhaust is my next expense along with a drivers window motor. I am going to aim it out the sides all the way at the back.

14. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Mine is on the drivers side behind the rear tire. I have never had a problem with the exhaust coming in through my rear window.

15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Same and same .......... OR I am just so used to it , and with all the brush fires that last 15 years in the desert southwest I am just immune to the smell of anything burned at all :D

16. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

lol i still have the smell of burning cars in my nostrills from the other nite!

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I just ran the factory dual stuff, and it's about as good as it can get I think, compared to others experiences.

The factory spoiler made a big difference, but didn't eliminate the problem. You are talking about going soft top, so that's out.

GM wasn't cheap when they did the exhaust exit, you'll notice (our) factory stuff exits out the side, but the tips are cut at a 45* angle to allow the exhaust to exit out the side of the vehicle, yet down towards the ground.

Cruising with the door windows down and the tailgate window down the exhaust is imperceptible, but from a stop when you accelerate is when it's noticeable.

18. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Mine used to exit out the side about a foot in front of the rear tires. I had it angled at a 45 toward the ground. It was better than straight out the back or exiting out the sides behind the rear tire, both of which I have had.

Now with the sliders and lift I have them cut off about a foot after the mufflers and they angle toward the sides and I cut at an angle toward the ground. Still stinks but oh well. Going down the road I don't get much but stop lights and slow wheeling make you stinky. Probably has something to do with the junky motor though.

19. mostwanted

My biggest problem is my wife. She is very sensitive to those kinds of smells. I am afraid if I don't find a solution, she will never want to ride in it.

20. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Mine has been changed several times over the years. Due to the influence of friends and family I dont smell it often. But out the side behind the rear tire has seemed to be best. The only way I been able to completely eliminate it is to take the top off. I did also replace all the weather stripping and silicone any other holes which made a big difference with the top on. If there are any ehxast leaks at the eng or collectors the smell is much worse.