Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust gunk

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Nov 12, 2002.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Okay, I have another question. Not that youall have anything better to do. Ha Ha. Is it normal to get sooty water spraying out of your tailpipes when you start up? Just wondering.
    Oh, and in case you need to know it's a 84 k5 305 quadrajet carb all vaccum new and new cad. converter and exhaust.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

A byproduct of combustion is H2O. Until the engine is warm enough to burn it off, it passes through to the exhaust in liquid form. The fact that the water is a wee bit sooty is an indication that you're running rich either at start up(too heavy of a choke) or just in general.

FWIW, my 84 has always given off water in the first few minutes while it warms up. It became a lot more noticeable when I removed the cat, too.

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea i start mine up in the cold weather now, and it spits out water in the morning, its probly normal, my dad and moms 4x4's do it too. no worries mate.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif