Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust Help Needed ASAP!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cusm, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

I have been needing to upgrade my exhaust for a while, and it is now to the point that I have to get it done. I am using Flowmaster 50 series, 2 1/4 w/o cats in a true dual setup. I have to upgrade my manifolds as well, they are leaky and at least 1 bolt is broken on each side. I was going to go with Thorley headers, but due to the price and other $$ needs, these are no longer an option. I would like to upgrade and I like what I have heard about the Ram Horn style manifolds.
    I have looked and I found a ton of numbers for these. I need to find a set that are a easy bolt on(or the easiest) for my truck, and I want a new set. I have an 82 2WD with the short style AC compressor on the drivers side. I also need to know if the angled manifolds are better or not.

Thanks Brian

2. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

The Ram Horn Manifolds are good if you want to stick with manifolds innstead of headers. I say go for it.

in my opinion the straight are just as good as the angled ones, no horsepower or mileage gain. But you may need to use the angled ones to get the clearnce needed for the pipes beneath it.

As for the a/c does it currently mount to the manifold? If so you may have a problem, but maybe not, as I know there were some years when the manifolds had mounts on them for the old style generators or something. As to whether the rram horn manifold had them I do not know.

One more thing... You said you wanted new? If your set on new ones then fine. But, why not pick up a cheapused pair. Replace the bolts, sandblast or wire wheel em, then paint or coat em. Even if you had this work done I think it's better scince they wont rust, and be any colour you want, from stock iron grey to whatever.

good luck

3. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

where in OK are you? i am in Edmond (north of OKC) i fan aquire a set of ramhorns if you are in the area and interested. let me talk to the owner and see how much he wants if he is selling them. interested? let me know.....

4. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

I am in OKC. Do you know if the AC compressor bracket is on the manifolds? The set up I have now has the ac compressor bracket on the manifold, so I need something that will be compatable.
    Let me know how much he wants.

5. prerunner1982

i am not sure if they are campatable with the AC compressor style that you have. you coul just notch the ac bracket like most of us that run headers do. i will find out how much if you are stil interested!

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

2wd use angled,
    4x4 use straights,
    technically i liek the angled better since the gradual angle back instead of a 90

ram horns would work for you, but i wouldnt go with 2" exit ones unless just for looks or for fun, go for a set of 63 corvette ones, they are about 95 each new and are 2.5" exit, youd have to hack off the alt mount nose end of the driver side one, they were on 55-64 rams, 65-68 have alternator style nose for cars and trucks both, 69-72 are found on trucks and are smooth nose ends like pass side ones always were

i could show pics of differences if i can find some, ive got a 65-68 driver side one, they use two threaded holes on front nose face, not on the side like the through holes on the generator manifolds

it would be pointless to use the common 2" exit ones with your 2.25" pipes

7. prerunner1982

my buddies ramhorns came off a 71 350 if you still want them i will ask...