Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust????Help!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudbog42, Aug 16, 2006.

1. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

I am going to be getting true duals on my 86 k-5 and wondering where would be the best place to route the end of the exhaust to prevent it from getting hit by anything or crushed. I was thinking maybe in front of the rear tire.

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

this is kind of funny question to me because it didn't matter where I put the tail pipes I crushed them mine actually lasted the longest going out the sides at the very rear at about a 45 degree angle to the frame

3. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

What if I dumped them before the axle, also I heard about people getting fumed to death with the exhaust coming out the rear when driving with the rear window down

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I witnessed a truck stuck real bad on a cold night. The guys wife and daughter stayed in the truck cause it was cold, his daughter got carbon monoxide poisening, we had to give her mouth to mouth. I will never tell anyone to dump them under the truck and if you do and you aren't moving you better shut your truck off :(

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

mine is currently under the k5 (because i had to cut the pipe due to moving the rear spring hanger for the 64's) and the fumes come right up through the rear window. after about 15min at highway speeds my eyes start to water because the fumes....would not recommend it. i plan to eventually do duals out the sides after the tire, thats the safest thing to do

6. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

I have duals on my K5 that come out of the rear and the fumes really get to you when the windows down..It's hard to breathe and your eyes water like nuts. It sounded fantastic, but it was unbearable.

My dad's got duals coming out in front of his rear tires on his K5 and that seems like the perfect place.

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

what ever you do, get them out the side, either a 90* or 45* (i like that the best)

8. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

So should I have them exit behind or in front of the rear tires. Would having them exit in front of tire cause any damage to the tire due to heat? By the way thanks for the quick replies appreciate it greatly and am not going to go with the dumps.

9. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run Doug Thorley's back to two 12 inch Cherry Bombs, to 90 degree out behind the rear tires. Sweet sounds!!! :wink1:

Dual 90 degree exit is my choice, as you get reflected sound off rock, concrete and even mailboxes! Sweet sounds!!! :wink1:

You can even tell if a vehicle is beside ya without looking!!! :laugh:

10. Seafarer76

Seafarer76 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dontoe...do you have any pics of your install? Which Thorley headers did you use? I just installed Thorley's 364 headers, and need to find something different than the hacked up arrangement I have now.

...End Hijack :)

11. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

These are right after the install. I used Thermo wrap to keep the temp down. And the flex is 314SS for saltwater marine use. Years ago I used regular flex, didn't last six months before rusting up so bad it fell apart. These still look the same after over a year, except for the dirt and grime. The flex goes to SS 304 straight pipe to the 12 inch Cherry Bombs then the PO's tailpipes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Here is what I used the turbo system and then put down turned tips on them. Souds great and I pull 17 mpg @ 60mph 3:08 gears and TH 700 305 tbi
    [​IMG]

13. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have that exhaust system from LMC on my K10 and I can honestly say that the sound is mouth watering! :p: I love the sound of it. If you want even better sound put on some 3 or 3 1/2 inch tips. I have 3in tips and it sounds real awsome.