Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust/ hitch question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by suthrnchvyguy89, Mar 28, 2005.

1. suthrnchvyguy89

suthrnchvyguy89 Registered Member

im trying to get a hitch installed on my k5 ( a class III is good enough for using to pull/ get pulled outta mud right). and right now my flowmaster exhaust is in the way so im gonna need to cut some of it off. what i wanna do is just cut it off right after the mufflers and do turndowns but my parents wont let me cuz they think alot of fumes are gonna leak in so they wanna try and get it to come out 90 degrees behind the rear tires instead but i know that if we do that, its gonna be in the way again for when i put in a shackle flip.

so i guess my questions are:

is a class III strong enough for getting pulled out of mud/ pulling people out of mud?

&

is it alright to do turndowns after the mufflers (they are about a foot before the rear axle) on a k5, or should i try to run the pipes out the sides somehow?

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

My thoughts...

Turndowns after the mufflers is alright with backwindow up. You get the occaisional wiff but with the back window down, the fumes roll right in and its pretty bad.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

fumes? whats wrong with fumes, hehehehehehe.........sorry.......its the voices again......

Uh yeh what was the question, o yeh, why not just run it out on either side of the hitch, out the back, or bring it out on the corners at the back?

4. suthrnchvyguy89

i would do it out the back a different way but just have a feeling like if i do that, i would need to cut it again for when i put in a shackle flip.

and i would like to be able to drive down the street with the back window down if turndowns would help that any...

5. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

I've got turndowns in front of the axle and even in stop and go traffic, with the windows up, I get no fumes at all. Front windows down you get the ocassional wiff. Now roll down the back and goose it.....well, it aint real good for the brain cells. Honest ocifer, I haven't been drinkin'. lol Of course I don't have cats either, prolly would make a big difference.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Check your states laws concerning exhaust especially if they have vehicle inspection. The K5 is not considered a truck, it is a wagon. The entire vehicle from the firewall to the tailgate is a passenger compartment and I know in the state of PA your exhaust must exit outside the body of any passenger compartment.

This isn't a problem on trucks since the passenger compartment ends at the back of the cab so turndowns are acceptable under the bed.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

same here too....

Here in MA they wont give you a sticker if the taipipe(s) dont exit the rear of the vehicle BEHIND the tire--I got away with it coming out the side in FRONT of the rear tire,but was warned the next time it would not pass inspection,and reccomended I change it right away....

Turndowns are legal only on pickup trucks,as long as the dump 12 or more inches behind the cab--I would not use them on a K5,even if it was legal,since 99% of them here have lots of rust holes,and the carbon monoxide would seep thru,and put your lights out... :crazy:

8. suthrnchvyguy89

thanks for all the responces about the exhaust, i guess ill just run it out the sides right after the rear tires just in case.

so i guess all of yall agree that a class III is strong enough?

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You can run it with a shackle flip and a trailer hitch . My hitch runs the whole length of the gas tank . My muffler is actually in the curve above the axle and the pipe comes out right over the spring :k5: :k5:

[​IMG]

10. suthrnchvyguy89

well here is how it turned out in case any of yall wanted to know:

HTML:
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/602933/6
    and i know not to leave my tow strap like that, i just wanted to see how it would look/hook up

11. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Here's my setup. Had to cut the stock 90 degree bend off but didnt notice the pipe was pointing straight at the shackle. It melted the two bushings and when I noticed, I had an extension put on the run it out the back. Works fine around my flip and trailer hitch.

rear.jpg

12. suthrnchvyguy89

i can't see those cuz im not a paying member or whatever but i think i know what you mean

13. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just get the exhaust to exit in front of the tires on each side. It's different and allows for more clean air to mix with the exhaust before it sucks it in the rear window.