Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust ideas..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Intense Blue, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Intense Blue

Intense Blue Registered Member

i have a 87 with stock FI350 wanting to put dual exhaust on, whats a good size pipe to run and where is a good spot to turn them out?behind the tires on each side?or straight out the back?i'm wanting a good healthy sound and also wondering what are some good mufflers to put on, all is for street use...thanks

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Best place to run them out is behind the rear wheels on the side. Straight out the back and it will tend to come back inside due to the vacuum created by moving these bricks through the air. Out the back will also quickly get mashed flat if you wheel.

Do you need cats? If not, I would probably say 2.5s and a pair of Flows. Depends on what you like (sound), engine mods (now or in the future), and the expected rpm range. Try to find vehicles similar to yours so that you can listen to them and figure out what you like. I don't like noise but some folks here do (usually young).

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Use 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" pipe.

My personal preference is out at a 90* angle after the rear tires (straight out the sides) with glasspacks. That's what I have with 2 1/4" pipe.

Dynomax makes manifold dual kit for $115 with all the pipes. Buy two of your favorite mufflers and bolt in on...maybe a two hour job. Jeg's has it. I have a similar header kit--the manifold kit is good as well (I've installed both).

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles